35m adaptor for the A1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 14th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #16
Regular Crew

So it sounds like your bread and butter is the 50mm? I imagine this is easier to focus than the 100mm (which would have less margin of error)?

Do you find the A1 with the Letus FE and a 50mm or 100mm usable for handheld, or does it seem as if the camera is going to break? Would it be too difficult to focus? How difficult do you think it would be to operate a steadycam/glidecam and focus the Letus FE?

Great to hear about the built in Nikon/Canon compatibility of the Letus FE.

Regarding the light loss, the current Brevis should be better than the Letus FE, as it doesn't have a built-in flip prism. Cinevate is evidently developing a flip module to be used with any adapters, for under/around $300 (or so I read a few weeks ago). Any thoughts on whether I should wait for that to come out, and couple it with the regular Letus 35A or maybe even the current Brevis?
Ben Hayflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #17
Disjecta

All of the footage I shot during this Little League (which is about 4 hours worth) is done handheld and with a Steadybag. It holds up really well and I am able to focus on the fly with no problems. It does get a little heavy on the arm but that's only after prolonged shooting with no break.

I'm not going to steer you one way or the other but the flip is the reason I use this adapter. Not having to flip the monitor or spend extra time rendering a 180degree flip in post is a life saver.

Wait for the Brevis if you like but it seems like everyone is waiting for something to materialize eventually while there are already good tools available. The choice is yours. My posted footage is all I can offer others to convince them of the quality of this adapter.

35mm take a little while to master so don't get bent out of shape if you can't get the focus right, it will come with practice grasshopper.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks again Steven.

I would want to use a flip unit for the exact same reasons. The fact that you are using the A1, handheld, and focusing successfully with the LCD without the aid of the Hoodman H-300 (which I tell ya is great), is excellent to hear.

The next narrative project I'm doing is all exterior day stuff, so the FE would be a great match - not too worried about the light loss!

I'm really leaning toward the FE at this point, but the idea of the Brevis + Brevis flip is really intriguing. But you're right: one can wait forever for this stuff.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #19
Major Player

What would be the price comparison of the brevis +flip and the letusflip?

It looks up til now the letus is the most economical of the lot.

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Unless I'm mistaken, the Letus FE will be around half as expensive as the Brevis + Brevis Flip module (which hasn't been released yet so the true price is uncertain).
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #21
Regular Crew

adding the 28 mm or the 100mm gives you what telephoto range?
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #22
Major Player

As a Canadian, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for the best way to have things shipped to Canada? I have heard that UPS is deadly and ends up costing large $$$ in customs. But beyond this I'm green.

Are there any Canadians with experience in cross border purchases of significant value like these 35mm adaptors which aren't available locally unfortunately.

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #23
Major Player

I've since done a search on Canadian customs on the forum and it does appear to be all over the map for whether they charge customs fees. And can depend on how you get it shipped. I've read up on Canada/US taxes and apparently if the item is made in the U.S. there shouldn't be a big hit.

It doesn't seem to be clear however in practice.

the best shipping in order (from a previous post)

1) USPS
2) DHL
3) FedEX
4) UPS

but then they went on to complain that USPS delivers alot of damaged goods. And considering this is a glass lens, that option may be too risky.

EDIT
Below is a link to a comprehensive guide for shipping across the border and addresses most of the questions I posed above.

http://www.imageswest.ca/cross-border.htm
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders