DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Upgrade from NTSC to PAL???? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/94148-upgrade-ntsc-pal.html)

Roman Nittmann May 15th, 2007 05:16 PM

Upgrade from NTSC to PAL????

Hi Guys,
I really need a little help from this excellent forum here and appreciate any advice or comment.
I live in Chicago, but originally I am from Europe. I am about to purchase the Canon A1 here in USA from Bhphotovideo store and make upgrade to the PAL ver. for $500 and within one year to go back to Europe and use it there.

My big question is: Will I have with the PAL upgrade the identical camera (options) like if I would buy the original PAL version?

Thank you very much for any input…….it is very important to me
Roman

Roman Nittmann May 16th, 2007 01:29 PM

Please...anybody have experience with upgrading from NTSC camera to PAL version?????

Thank you

Mark Hislop May 17th, 2007 04:26 PM

Roman: We just had XL-H1's upgraded 3 weeks ago. The cameras have all the same functionality as before, as far as I know. They now have an extra menu which give me 1080 50i. Canon turned around the cameras within a day, and the $500 included return shipping. (We paid for shipping to them.)

But since I didn't start out with a PAL camera, I can't answer your question of whether or not an "upgraded" camera will be the same as the PAL orginal. I think that is the case, but I don't know it for a fact.

Mark

Chris Hurd May 17th, 2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman Nittmann (Post 680033)
Will I have with the PAL upgrade the identical camera (options) like if I would buy the original PAL version?

Yes -- you most definitely will. Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Roman Nittmann May 18th, 2007 11:49 AM

Thank you guys!

Thanks a lot, that it exactly what I needed to hear:)

Roman

David Chia May 23rd, 2007 03:05 AM

Quote:

Canon turned around the cameras within a day, and the $500 included return shipping.
I am about to buy a NTSC XHA1 in the U.S. I want to upgrade it to the 50i/25f option.As I am from PAL land.

I called the Canon serivce center in N.J (732) 521-7007. I was told by a customer on the phone that I can actually buy the upgrade option through the phone at 1800-8284040. The upgrade can be downloaded throught the net. You don't have to actually send the camera in to the service center.The customer service personal said that it would cost U.S$599 to have it done.

Mark can you verify this? Because you did it for 500, That is 100 less for what they are now asking.

Paul Cascio May 23rd, 2007 04:23 AM

If that's the case, it kind of sucks they would charge so much for it.

Mark Hislop May 24th, 2007 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chia (Post 684419)
I am about to buy a NTSC XHA1 in the U.S. I want to upgrade it to the 50i/25f option.As I am from PAL land.

I called the Canon serivce center in N.J (732) 521-7007. I was told by a customer on the phone that I can actually buy the upgrade option through the phone at 1800-8284040. The upgrade can be downloaded throught the net. You don't have to actually send the camera in to the service center.The customer service personal said that it would cost U.S$599 to have it done.

Mark can you verify this? Because you did it for 500, That is 100 less for what they are now asking.

Sorry, I just saw this post.

I live near Chicago. There is a Canon service center here, and even they would not do the upgrade. They told me that it is only done in New Jersey. I would have liked to do it via the internet, but Canon told me they will not do it that way.

For the extra $100, I would do it through the internet if you can. Even though Canon paid the return shipping, I still had to ship the camera there. And there is always the risk of damage or loss while shipping.

Hope this helps some.

Mark

Denis Murphy May 29th, 2007 12:35 PM

will this be a standard feature soon?

I'm thinking of buying an AH1. Is this PAL-NTSC upgrade business something we might expect to be standard in future models? I notice Canon offering cashback to current US purchasers of the AH1 - is this a sign that there's a new model on the way?

Sergio Garcia May 31st, 2007 12:48 AM

I'm in the opposite situation. I have a PAL A1 and I'd really love to have 24f and 30f in my camera because I'm very interested in creating HD-DVD's from my job. (HD-DVD format does not support european frame rates, so conversions are needed).

A (free) firmware update would be great because after paying 3500€ I don't want to pay more but I want ALL the features... It would be great.

I guess the upgrades are official but if anyone knows about unofficial upgrades that info would be extremely appreciated...