Finally Got my XH-A1 today! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 16th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Finally Got my XH-A1 today!

After all my questions and probing around, I finally received my Brand New XH-A1 today. I have only powered it up to set the date and time. I plan to play with it more tomorrow. I had to sell both my Canon XL2 cams to get this one, but I had enough left to buy a very nice crane Jib outfit with Lanc Controller, monitor, cables etc. I also ordered a Letus35 Flip Enhanced, and about 4 Nikon Nikkor lenses. I had really just gotten used to using the XL2 camera, it looks as though there are many similarities with this and the XL2, but there are many differences also. I will have to start all over. Seems like I read in here that the camera would ONLY recognize 20 given presets on an SD card, no matter how many you have loaded on the card. I assume it is a safe bet to just put any extras on another SD card. Is there a limit the size of the SD card that can be used? The one that came with it is 16mb, I happen to have a 1 Gig laying around here, I know the additional space won't mean anything, but it should still function ok, right? Thanks and I cannot wait to begin with this beautiful new camera! J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nice, I wish I had enough to purchase one this moment! Enjoy it.
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The camera has SD HC (high capacity) markings on the battery compartment door, so you should be fine with 1G card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L. Miller View Post
. Is there a limit the size of the SD card that can be used?
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use a Sandisk 2GB Ultra II card. Wasn't much more than the 1GB card and I have more than enough there for quickie digital still shots. Works great.
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Congratulations with your new 'toy' ;-)

Considering the low price of the 2Gb, I also got one with my A1.
The card has space enough to handle a lot of preset files combined with photo's.
Now and then i make photo's in between and store them on the SD card.
2 Gb is more than enough for a few hundred photo's.
Gert Kracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Even if you weren't planning on taking stills with the camera a decent sized card is always worthwhile - theres the feature of being able to take still images while shooting and have the camera save both a custom preset file and a text file of the custom settings being used while you were taking them (handy if you're out and about while trying various tweaks of the custom presets)

custom function 8 (simultaneous record) option 02 (still + CP data)

Last edited by Steven Cowie; May 17th, 2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: extra info
Steven Cowie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders