Mounting on-camera light and microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 17th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mounting on-camera light and microphone

I am about to purchase an XH-A1.
I have an Anton-Bauer elipz light that mounts on the hotshoe of the camera. I also want to mount a shotgun microphone (Sennheiser ME66) on the camera.
My understanding is that the microphone mount on the camera is rigid and would rather use a suspended mount for isolation. However, all of the ones I've seen mount on the hotshoe.
What is a good solution to this?
David Sayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #2
Major Player

http://www.mklemme.com/pole/dvcam.html

The K-GPS is what you might want to look into. Also, get the K-BWS camera adapter. The BWC is just a tad too small for the A1's mic holder.

B&H usually has these in stock.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Busby; May 17th, 2007 at 02:06 AM. Reason: typical brain malfunction
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Either Canon or someone else makes an adapter that fits XH-A1's mic holder and serves as a mic holder. This way you can use hot shoe for the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sayed View Post
I am about to purchase an XH-A1.
I have an Anton-Bauer elipz light that mounts on the hotshoe of the camera. I also want to mount a shotgun microphone (Sennheiser ME66) on the camera.
My understanding is that the microphone mount on the camera is rigid and would rather use a suspended mount for isolation. However, all of the ones I've seen mount on the hotshoe.
What is a good solution to this?
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #4
Wrangler

i haven't tried this so can't personally recommend it until then, but i've been certainly been tempted...looks handy...

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeotf2e/jrod/index.html
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #5
Wrangler

lightwave offers one for the XL2 that might work witht eh XH A1.
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #6
Major Player

The built-in mic mount has soft rubber isolation in it. It works fine with my ME66. A couple of wraps of gaffer's tape on the mic make it fit fine. I've never had any handling noise.

If you have a dead cat on the mic and the wide angle adapter on, you might need to move it back to get a couple of stray hairs out of the corner of the frame.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm using the Rycote Camera Clamp Adapter (CCA). It just barely fits in the camera mount, but it works great. Gives you some great isolation for your mic.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tie_Mount.html
Michael Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I have one of these on order through Full Compass

http://www.rycote.com/products/accessories/hotshoe/

I am going to use it to mount a light and then a wireless receiver behind it (I'll run the extender backwards along the grip handle.) I suppose it would be easy enough to run it horizontally and have the light and the mic side by side.
Nate Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Good mic suspension for £17 (for UK readers!!)

I created one which cost me about £17. See attached photo.

You need a couple of bits from Maplin:

2 x Shockmounts http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=9830&doy=17m5

and

1 x adaptor (one as in the middle photo)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=3569&doy=17m5

You screw the adaptor halfway into one of the shockmounts, then screw the other onto the exposed half of the adaptor. The bit in between the two mounts then goes into the circular clamp and you clamp it shut. The two shockmounts ideally need to be a bit more separated so a few washers might do the trick but this does work very well on my long sennheiser / rycote softie kit, and it reduces any thumps and bumps to almost zero. I use these shockmounts on all my static mic stands too, for recording.

Hope that's useful

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Mounting on-camera light and microphone-shockmount.jpg  
Mark Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. These were exactly the sort of suggestions I was after.
Initially, I've decided to go for the Rycote hotshoe extension bar since the Sennheiser kit I bought has an isolated suspension (how good this is remains to be seen). If the hotshoe extension doesn't do it for me andI need to look at one of the other options suggested, I have plenty of other things to hang off the hotshoe.
David Sayed is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders