Cleaning the Camera Body at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cleaning the Camera Body

Hey all,

I LOVE the XH-A1, but one tiny little thing bugs me about it. The black surface shows up every little speck of dust that's floating in the air. It's not a significant amount of anything, it just shows up very well on the A1. And I'm sort of a clean freak when it comes to my expensive electronics. So I'm wondering what is the best way to clean the camera body. I use canned air to blow dust and such out of the nooks and crannies, but sometimes that doesn't get it all off.

Is it safe to use rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab or cloth to clean the body? I would imagine it would be as long as it's just a very small amount applied to the swab or cloth, and as long as it doesn't get into any crevices around buttons and such. But I'm not sure and I don't want to try it until I know I'm not going to totally screw something up by doing it. So if anyone can confirm that it's okay, please do. And if anyone has a better way to clean the camera body, feel free to chime in.

Thanks,
Doug Chambers
Doug Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I use a sertain brand of baby tissues. Just enough moist to remove any dirt or dust. Good for our baby's bottom and also good for my A number 1 baby. But only on the parts where there are no buttons and other electronics.

The rest is cleaned with a airduster and a simple soft brush.

Rule number 1: no extreme fluids in the neigbourhood of the electronics.
Gert Kracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #3
Major Player

I use a big blowbulb....never had any smeared or sticky stuff on my A1 :)
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert Kracht View Post
I use a sertain brand of baby tissues. Just enough moist to remove any dirt or dust. Good for our baby's bottom and also good for my A number 1 baby.
HA!!! You had me laughing for a second. Thats pretty funny.
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders