Broken mic on XHA1. What now ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 20th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Broken mic on XHA1. What now ?

Well darn it all I've snapped the mic off my XHA1. I suppose it'll have to go for repair. Does anyone know whats the best way to go around this. How long will it take, and how much am I looking at.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Mark.
Mark Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Canon USA has good turn around time. Are they quick in the UK? If you need your cam for a shoot, use external mics and send it in later.

Although I'm getting a bit of the same feeling about your accident as when one of my kids falls and scratches up a knee, please tell us the details. There's a bit of speculation as to the robustness of the mic. What holds the mic together? Is it plastic or metal? How can we avoid a broken mic?

Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Doug,

Well I ended up catching the top of the mic on the car door. It didn't take much before it snapped the whole mic off. It's pulled the two ribbon plugs from inside, which I could replace myself, its just getting inside the handle looks like a bit of a job. I'll give canon a ring today, hopefully it shouldn't take to long.

Thanks for the reply,

Mark.
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

About $400 to fix w/ labor. Got mine fixed at Ritz Camera, but I had insurance, but they said it would have cost about $400.

*e
Eric Dyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:27 AM   #5
Trustee

You might think about investing in a good case to protect your gear when transporting.

Last edited by David W. Jones; May 21st, 2007 at 04:27 PM.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Major Player

I wouldn't leave the store without a Pelican (or Storm) case for my new video camera.

I've got a Storm case for my Pana GS400 and a Pelican (depends what's in stock I guess) for my A1.

They're great for customising and they're waterproof.

Choose the right size and you can also fit in spare tapes, batteries, lens', hood amd other stuff.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have a Kata carry bag for my Canon. The camera needs to be taken out of the bag to use it. It was when I was taking the camera back to the car to put it back into the bag that I caught the door.

Mark

P.S. I'm now having to sell my Canon, I can't afford to wait for the two weeks it'll take to get repaired, I've just got to much on, so I've now bought another. I'll be selling it as it is, so if anybody's interested, send me a PM.

Mark
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:25 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rook View Post
I have a Kata carry bag for my Canon. The camera needs to be taken out of the bag to use it. It was when I was taking the camera back to the car to put it back into the bag that I caught the door.
Mark
Not trying to come off sounding like a jerk, but... That's the whole point of a "Carry" bag!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:37 PM   #9
New Boot

If the $400 price is correct, why repair? Instead, use the money to invest in a good XLR microphone. The built-in microphone is not bad, but not at the same level of quality. The only hard point: the external microphone mount does not shield enough from motor noise (especially the zoom), at least for my configuration.
---
Fred
Frederic Gittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:27 PM   #10
Major Player

External Mic Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Gittler View Post
If the $400 price is correct, why repair? Instead, use the money to invest in a good XLR microphone. The built-in microphone is not bad, but not at the same level of quality. The only hard point: the external microphone mount does not shield enough from motor noise (especially the zoom), at least for my configuration.
---
Fred
Yeah, I noticed the same problem with my external AT897 shotgun mic mounted in the included holder. The easiest/cheapest way to resolve this issue is by 'padding' the mic within the holder using some medium-firm density foam. I actually found that the foam makeup applicators my wife uses (white discs, about 2 inches in diameter) make for wonderful isolators. Cut one into a square that would fit into the bottom of the mic holder; works like a charm for pennies. Maybe I should get a patent?
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Since I've pulled both ribbon cables out from the camera, will an external one still work. I don't fancy splashing out on a new mic to find it does'nt work. Another thing, can anyone point me in the right direction for a pretty good alternative mic.

Many thanks,

Mark.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #12
Major Player

As far as carry bags - I have one, but if you are shooting somewhere where you need to be mobile, I leave the bag in the car. I certainly couldn't manage shooting and toting a big bag on my shoulder.

The Rode shotgun mics NT-G2s I've heard are decent, and not too pricey.

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #13
Wrangler

What kind of mic do you want?
For stereo, check out the AT-825.
A wide variety of shot guns out there too.
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #14
Go Cycle

Actually the NT-G1 works fine because it is phantom powered by the camera. I think it is a great mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Kerr View Post
As far as carry bags - I have one, but if you are shooting somewhere where you need to be mobile, I leave the bag in the car. I certainly couldn't manage shooting and toting a big bag on my shoulder.

The Rode shotgun mics NT-G2s I've heard are decent, and not too pricey.

Trish
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Mark-
Do the XLR inputs still work on your XH A1? If it is still untested, go to a music shop and look at (plug in) one of their condensor mics as a test. If you are shooting mostly inside, you may want a cardioid or super-cardioid condensor mic anyway, which should be available at the music shop.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders