DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Looking for a good bag for the A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/94711-looking-good-bag-a1.html)

Nathan Quattrini May 22nd, 2007 11:37 AM

Looking for a good bag for the A1

Heres what I need to fit in it.

Canon A1 (hood on if possible)
Firestore
Powerchords/pack for both
lense covers
extra battery
shotgun mic (unless i get a separate carrier for that)
a few back up tapes

Would this bag work well for that?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...g_Wingbag.html
I like the fact it has the free rain jacket, but does that jacket fit the A1? Thanks guys

Robert Morane May 22nd, 2007 12:06 PM

I have the Kata Mc61, it has lots of room and is very well made. Its kind of half hard case half soft.
I carry my A1, a WA, Vidled Light, shotgun, wireless Lav and Rode Nt3. Still room for chargeurs, cables, tapes and filters.
I am told it is OK for onboard flight, but haven't try yet and a bit worry about it.
B&H sells it for $180 and includes a trolley.

Dearl Golden May 22nd, 2007 12:15 PM

I have that exact bag and it works very well for me. I particularly like the "roller bag" part. I carry my A1, with lens hood on, Rode NTG2 shotgun, 10 tapes, Sony monitor phones (in end zipper pocket), extra battery, battery charger, the camera remote, various other cords/cables, and the instruction manual (don't leave home without it). The camera fits very snugly inside the bag with enough straps and padding to protect it very nicely and it doesn't move around.

I haven't tried the rain cover yet in a real world situation, but when I initially slipped it on the camera, it was a bit of a tight fit, but I think with a little more time and patience on my part that it should be OK.

Paul Cronin May 22nd, 2007 12:16 PM

Hi Nathan,

Glad to hear you received the A1.

I use the Kata rain cover and like it since I can access everything with ease.

For a bag I use two:
The Lowepro Dryzone back pack there are two sizes I use the bigger of the two. www.lowepro.com This is a first class bag and carries the camera and every extra. The bag floats and is a dry bag which means the camera will not get wet when sealed. There are two zippers one is a basic zipper then there is a dry seal zipper. You only have to use the basic zipper if it is dry out side I use the dry zipper all the time on the water. We have testd the bag with weights and it will float with a camera and all the gear. Also the comfort of the pack is excellent and very adjustable.

The second bag is a ThinkTank airport check bag. www.thinktankphoto.com This is the best for travel and daily work on land. It fits the camera and loads of gear and it is a roller bag with long handle that hides well.

Both bags have excellent padding and you can customize the inside of each with velcro dividers that are included. Also both have extra flaps with loads of storage so you don't have to open the camera section to access paper items like model releases and business cards.

Hope this helps.

Rick Underwood May 22nd, 2007 06:46 PM

Personally I Use Cinebags. I think they are great... they can be a little pricy in certain locations but if you find a good sale they can be very reasonable.

Happy Hunting..

Nathan Quattrini May 22nd, 2007 08:22 PM

Paul, the backpack you mention, would it be suitable for hiking through the mountains of Taiwan? I`m planning a moth long trip to visit my girlfriend and really capture the beauty of the country in the time I have there. Do you carry your tripod on it? Does the tripod position hinder or bump your body at all?

As for a bag, any other thoughts on the one I posted? It would be for everyday transport to the woods, friends houses, etc.

Paul Cronin May 23rd, 2007 06:08 AM

Nathan it could work perfect for that. The shoulder straps are great and the waist band keep it stable. Also loads of straps and loops on the outside to add extra gear.

Here is the link to the pack.
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back...yZone_200.aspx

Since it is not cheap you should make sure it fits you requirements. I have over 200 days on the ocean on both of mine with out a single problem. If you don't need waterproof which I think is worth every penny then they offer other packs.

Both pack and roller bag are rated as carry on bags with the airlines.

Sounds like a exciting trip and great oppertunity for excellent footage. Enjoy!

Roger Beck May 23rd, 2007 06:40 AM

Porta Brace makes some nice cases, pricey though. I saw this one at the store and it would work great, it has moveable dividers to keep the camera in place and enough storage for a few accessories although for lots of extras they make bigger versions. http://www.portabrace.com/productC-CS-DV3UQS-M4

Bill Doyle May 23rd, 2007 07:27 AM

Just my two cents- I use the Porta Brrace DVO-1U. It is similar to the ccase mentioned above, but with rigid sides for protection. It holds my A1, lavalier, shotgun, AC charger, AV cables, spare battery, filters and a Zoom H4 digital audio recorder. The DVO-2U has more room at almost the same price, but the 1U is rated as an airline carry-on so I don't have to worry about a last-minute cheked bag situation.

The camera sits in a cradle and is tied down for extra protection.

Nathan Quattrini May 24th, 2007 07:54 AM

The more I think about it the more I may get a backpack instead. I will do alot of shooting in wooded areas for my short films, as well as my trip to taiwan, so i don`t see why i couldn`t also use a backpack going to weddings etc if need be. May look a little unorthodox, but carrying is carrying, and I don`t want to end up spending $500 on carry bags.

paul, do you think a glidecam would also be possible to fit on/strap on/ or in that backpack?

Paul Cronin May 24th, 2007 08:12 AM

Nathan I carry a tripod at times in the tripod pocket strapped onto the pack. If I am not using a tripod I carry my DVmultirig on the outside. So you should be able to carry the Glidecam on the out side. Look at the details of the slip out pocket for the tripod.

Nathan Quattrini May 24th, 2007 09:21 AM

how is it on accessibility, all the images seem to show you have to lay it down before opening it up, else the gear could all fall out. It only opens that big pocket right? No bottom area flap that opens? (DRYZONE 200)

Also what do you think/have heard about this?
http://www.rotation360.com/

also...what are the general carry-on guidelines for air travel ... dimensions it mean, for a back pack

Paul Cronin May 24th, 2007 10:25 AM

You are correct with the DryZone 200 you have to put it flat to open the big pocket.

I would not hesitate to buy anything from ThinkTank their stuff is first class gear. I have never used their backpack just the check roller bag.

There are two check bag regulations one for NA and one international. ThinkTank has both posted on their site.

Nathan Quattrini May 25th, 2007 08:29 AM

I am waiting to hear back from ThinkTank about the revolution 360, if its water proof or not. I really like the idea of not needing to remove it every time you want something, especially when hiking. I`ll have to make sure its plane travel compatible still as well. I`d love to get the dryzone if it had a fold out bottom compartment instead of having to lay it down. I saw Another Lowepro bag at the store that had the bottom compartment...not sure the model though, i`ll have to go back. Something AW...i forget

Robert Wertheimer May 25th, 2007 07:40 PM

You just might get that all in a Kata Shell -03 if you carried the mic in an external case. Though, I must admit that it would be very, very tight. I carry ALL the cables that came with the camera, the charger, remote, and 6 tapes or so and have room for a bit more. It's a great semi-hard case if you are looking for something very small and lightweight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini (Post 683887)
Heres what I need to fit in it.

Canon A1 (hood on if possible)
Firestore
Powerchords/pack for both
lense covers
extra battery
shotgun mic (unless i get a separate carrier for that)
a few back up tapes

Would this bag work well for that?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...g_Wingbag.html
I like the fact it has the free rain jacket, but does that jacket fit the A1? Thanks guys