DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   How fast is the A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/94843-how-fast-a1.html)

Uli Mors May 23rd, 2007 01:36 PM

How fast is the A1?

Playing with a JVC HD200 I encountered that it takes a few seconds from hitting REC until the tape moves. Since I do event video I want to know:
a) how long does it take from power on to a recorded clip (have a try counting loud 1-10 while switching on and REC)

b) how long does it take when the cam is already switched on?

With my PANA DVC200 (shoulder cam) it takes ~1s to start, I dont want to give up being fast (see, focus , shoot)

ULi

Dirk Bouwen May 23rd, 2007 02:01 PM

Startup of the A1 is pretty fast.

But pushing on the rec button, the reaction time varies. Sometimes, it departs immediately, sometimes it takes a few seconds. Very strange, but I assume this has to do with the MPEG/long GOP streaming & positioning of I-frames.

It's not like f.i. a VX2K, taking some time to start-up, but departing immediately after pushing on the rec-button.

Douglas Villalba May 23rd, 2007 02:11 PM

All the cameras that I know have a head saving feature.
After the camera has been in record/standby mode for a while the heads stop to save wear.
Then it takes what seems to be an eternity when you are missing something, but it really takes just a few seconds.
The quickest cameras are the ones that do not record to tape like the Panasonic HVX 200 that records to P2 or the Firestore.

Bill Pryor May 23rd, 2007 02:34 PM

As long as you're in standby mode it starts instantly. But, as mentioned above, like any camera it will revert to the save mode after awhile.

Uli Mors May 25th, 2007 01:02 AM

Thanks for the explanations.

Of course, spedding up the tape drum (from standby) takes a while - I had the impression that the HD200 even takes a few seconds when you just stopped (paused) recording 10 seconds ago...

I guess I will replace my VX2000 by the A1...

ULi

Bill Pryor May 25th, 2007 08:18 AM

What I did was turn off the power save mode (I think that's what it's called). That way the camera doesn't switch out of standby all the time.

Bill Busby May 25th, 2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 686147)
What I did was turn off the power save mode (I think that's what it's called). That way the camera doesn't switch out of standby all the time.

Bill, I did this from day one, & it still will go into save mode (don't know the time frame), but at least it doesn't power down :)

Bill

Bill Pryor May 25th, 2007 12:56 PM

Yeah, it still goes into the save mode, but not for quite awhile. All cameras I've used do that, but with that power save on, it shuts down after a minute or two. Normally the save mode isn't bothersome, but if you're hanging out waiting on something to happen, it may cause a problem if you don't stay on top of it and make sure you're in standby periodically.