How fast is the A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:36 PM   #1
Major Player

How fast is the A1?

Playing with a JVC HD200 I encountered that it takes a few seconds from hitting REC until the tape moves. Since I do event video I want to know:
a) how long does it take from power on to a recorded clip (have a try counting loud 1-10 while switching on and REC)

b) how long does it take when the cam is already switched on?

With my PANA DVC200 (shoulder cam) it takes ~1s to start, I dont want to give up being fast (see, focus , shoot)

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Startup of the A1 is pretty fast.

But pushing on the rec button, the reaction time varies. Sometimes, it departs immediately, sometimes it takes a few seconds. Very strange, but I assume this has to do with the MPEG/long GOP streaming & positioning of I-frames.

It's not like f.i. a VX2K, taking some time to start-up, but departing immediately after pushing on the rec-button.
Dirk Bouwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Major Player

All the cameras that I know have a head saving feature.
After the camera has been in record/standby mode for a while the heads stop to save wear.
Then it takes what seems to be an eternity when you are missing something, but it really takes just a few seconds.
The quickest cameras are the ones that do not record to tape like the Panasonic HVX 200 that records to P2 or the Firestore.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:34 PM   #4
Contributor

As long as you're in standby mode it starts instantly. But, as mentioned above, like any camera it will revert to the save mode after awhile.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the explanations.

Of course, spedding up the tape drum (from standby) takes a while - I had the impression that the HD200 even takes a few seconds when you just stopped (paused) recording 10 seconds ago...

I guess I will replace my VX2000 by the A1...

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Contributor

What I did was turn off the power save mode (I think that's what it's called). That way the camera doesn't switch out of standby all the time.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
What I did was turn off the power save mode (I think that's what it's called). That way the camera doesn't switch out of standby all the time.
Bill, I did this from day one, & it still will go into save mode (don't know the time frame), but at least it doesn't power down :)

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #8
Contributor

Yeah, it still goes into the save mode, but not for quite awhile. All cameras I've used do that, but with that power save on, it shuts down after a minute or two. Normally the save mode isn't bothersome, but if you're hanging out waiting on something to happen, it may cause a problem if you don't stay on top of it and make sure you're in standby periodically.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders