DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Terrible packaging for my A-1 from B&H (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/94886-terrible-packaging-my-1-b-h.html)

Mark Rosen May 23rd, 2007 09:35 PM

Terrible packaging for my A-1 from B&H

Hi everyone,

I recieved my order today from B&H and was really disappointed on how they boxed up my Canon XH A-1. The outside box looked like it had been shipped 20 times over before they shipped it to me. The actual Canon XH A-1 box had a dent in the side. Upon initial inspection the camera seemed O.K except the built in mike is loose. Of course I did a search and found that this is normal. However, the left screen of the built in mike has a dent in it. This sort of thing really drives me nuts. $3500.00, I expect perfection upon arrival. After delivery I am quite sure I will put my own dent in the mike screen, but I do not want some one elses.

This is just cosmetic, but considering the condition of the box, should I be concerned with other possible damage?

I would like to think that B&H does not sell returned items as new. Other than the screen it is perfect. Am I expecting to much?

Thanks,

Mark

Khoi Pham May 23rd, 2007 10:08 PM

No you are not expecting too much, you paid for a new one and you should get at new one, I would call them and ask for a new one. I once bought a Vinten tripod from them, paid for a new one and got one that has dirt on the legs and marker on it. Sometime they do send you used one.

Jim Duggins May 24th, 2007 02:04 PM

B&H are great until something goes wrong. Their customer service is a joke, absolutely worthless. If they screw up on an order, they will try to pacify you into waiting so long (over 2 months from date of transaction) that you can't dispute the charge with your credit card company. I'd give them no more than a week or two to make good. After that, I would dispute the charge with your credit card company regardless of what they say they are doing, because they are taking too long and not giving you the service and/or product you paid for.

Meryem Ersoz May 24th, 2007 02:22 PM

when a box comes that looks like it has been abused, you should take photos of the damage before you open the box. then you have the evidence. if it's not too late, you should photograph the evidence and then approach customer service with it. i've gotten good results (not with B&H but with another dealer) with the "show, don't tell" approach.

Don Jones May 24th, 2007 03:29 PM

Not true in my case with B&H at all. Last fall I
ordered a Canon EOS 30D and two L-Series lens and I was not happy with the color of my photos. B&H did a rapid exchange with no hassle what-so-ever. Three weeks ago I received my XH A1 as promised and well packaged. Their customer service has proven to be the best that I have ever experienced. My two cents.

Don

Mathieu Ghekiere May 24th, 2007 03:35 PM

Sorry to read about your situation, Mark.
I haven't ordered anything from B&H (I live in Belgium) but I've heard many many great things about them on this boards, and also about their customer service. Be sure to give them a call and explain your situation!

Glenn Davidson May 24th, 2007 04:02 PM

Are there black conveyor belt marks all over the box? If so...Let me guess...UPS Shipping?

Don Bloom May 24th, 2007 04:07 PM

Mark,
Call them and get an RMA send it back and they will send you another one.
Over the years and all the cash I've spent with them they have been superb about customer service. I really find it hard to understand how it did get damaged unless it came from the mfg that way OR it was a demo model that B&H had out. If that's the case the dent should have been disclosed.
I know everything I have evered ordered from them has come double boxed and most times with bubble wrap. Cameras, tripods, heads, audio gear...all kinds of stuff.
Again call them as soon as possible and talk to them. If the camera is new you shouldn't have to have a dent in the screen like you said you'll probably put it youself, don't we all ;-)
Let us know the outcome

Don

Wynn Bradford May 24th, 2007 09:31 PM

Buying a Camera

You know I hear the stories all the time about mail order cameras. I bought mine here in Austin from a local dealer for about 3900.00 which included a 3 year extended warrenty in which they will loan you a camera while yours is in repair. I know I paid about 300.00 more than a lot of people do, but I will not be without a camera. I just bought a second last week ans saved 250.00 with the rebate. Sometimes I pays to do business local even if it costs more because you at least have someone you can deal with face to face. Just as a side note I shot some (secondary footage last night with one for a move we are working on and the cinematographer was blown away by the footage when we compared it to her 30,000.00 JVC (18,000.00) for the lens package.

Wynn B

Mike Gorski May 24th, 2007 10:34 PM

Get in contact and send that puppy back. Also the mail service might have not done their part. You paid a good amount you deserve perfection at your doorstep.

Henry Posner May 25th, 2007 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosen (Post 685144)
Hi everyone,
I recieved my order today from B&H and was really disappointed on how they boxed up my Canon XH A-1. The outside box looked like it had been shipped 20 times over before they shipped it to me. The actual Canon XH A-1 box had a dent in the side. Upon initial inspection the camera seemed O.K
** SNIP **
Other than the screen it is perfect. Am I expecting to much?

I am sorry about this and regret your dissatisfaction. I will be happy to issue both a return authorization (RMA) and a UPS package pick-up so we can swap this camera for another as efficiently as possible, but I cannot find you or this transaction in our database. If you can email the B&H order number to me, I can assist you. It soundls like your parcel was the victim of some uncharacteristic poor handling on the shipper's part, but no matter what the cause, we want to rectify this to your satisfaction as quickly as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Duggins (Post 685710)
B&H are great until something goes wrong. Their customer service is a joke, absolutely worthless.

I am sorry you feel this way. Apparently there's some unresolved issue here. If you care to do so, email the details to me and I will see what is what.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Jones (Post 685775)
Their customer service has proven to be the best that I have ever experienced.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Chris Hurd May 25th, 2007 10:09 AM

Thank you very much Henry for your direct response here. Much appreciated,

Jim Duggins May 25th, 2007 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Posner (Post 686215)
I am sorry you feel this way. Apparently there's some unresolved issue here. If you care to do so, email the details to me and I will see what is what.

I'll tell my friend to email you, Henry, but after almost two months of nothing but the runaround (despite a promise to ship a replacement for the missing item), he had to dispute the charge with Visa before the deadline passed.

Ervin Farkas May 25th, 2007 01:00 PM

Although if I understood this right, B&H is no longer a DVi sponsor, it is not fair to judge them just by looking at an isolated incident. I have done business with them over the last year and spent a lot of money, but never had a problem. My (even more) expensive Sony Z1 came with the LANC controller defective, all it took me was one phone call, they e-mailed the RMA, printable UPS label and I got the new cam in a week.

Anyone can make a mistake once in a while, and this firm has probably hundreds of employees. Take into consideration the volume of business they handle and I am sure their rating will look instantly better. Unfortunately during shipping anything can be damaged. I received boxes ripped half open, but the content was so well packed, nothing has suffered.

I have no problem with anyone complaining here on the forum, but if you would have called them immediately, you would be two days closer to your new camera.

No, I don't work for them.

Mark Rosen May 26th, 2007 11:26 AM

Hello again,

Thanks for all the responses. First let me say, I have been ordering from B&H for about four years and this has been the first time I had a problem with the shippping. I hope I did not give the impression that I always had issues with them. They have always been great to deal with. This particular order was the most expensive purchase, and unfortunetly was the first time I had an issue. I have had a couple of days to think about it and the dent does bother me, but I can live with it. For me, it was more the condition of the external and internal boxes that had me concerned. When I saw the dented screen it just added to my concern even more that possibly other things could have been damged with the camera.

Thanks Henry for your interest in resolving my problem. I know you guys are closed down for a few days so I can think about returning it, and if I decide to I will Email you today or tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Mark