Gonna Buy XHA1 Training DVD.. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 5th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #16
Trustee

John,

I have had my A1 for about 6 months now and have been slowly getting better with it. I haven't gotten around to getting the VASST DVD for the A1 yet but I do intend to. From what I've read and seen from sample clips it goes way beyond your "how to" operate instructional video. Just from the advice I've received on here from the VASST people they have an enormous amount of information that has help me get more and more out of my videos.

As far as a Vegas work flow for getting the best looking DVD's I've been struggling with that for a while. I've gotten to the point where the picture quality is almost as good as store bought but I've come to realize that with the limitatons of using non professional software and cameras it just isn't gonna get there.

I have found surprisingly, that converting to CineForm Intermediate, editing the avi's, then encoding to MPEG2 yields better results than just editing the M2t files and rendering from those. I usually try t render at the highest bitrate possible and make sure that no additional rendering is done during the actual DVD creation (the MPEG2 file after VEGAS render is fully DVD compliant). The biggest problem I have is that I usually shoot live stage shows, dances, plays, etc. so the lighting and colors kill me. I've just gotten the VASST color correction video in hopes that it will give me some good info on how to best color correct so that on a TV it will give me the rich colors with enough contrast. When I shoot under controlled lighting conditions I can get some great looking DVD's.

Another thing that has helped me a lot is being able to see what an experienced shooter does an how they have there camera set up. If you're lucky you could maybe find someone who is willing to hire you to do some backup video for a multicamera shoot and that way they'll let you know what settings they like and you can also get some good feedback on your technique, framing, etc.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #17
Major Player

I bought the Elite video too and it's not very good.

I wouldn't say it's a complete waste of money but it is a bit rich getting advice from a video with shaky camerawork, fluctuating exposure, strange objects in the foreground, bad sound, out-of-focus footage, illogical menu etc etc.

I'm sure there must be a better DVD out there somewhere and I look forward to reading about it here.

Last edited by Richard Gooderick; February 5th, 2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typos
Richard Gooderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #18
Regular Crew

You guys just saved me $50 bucks :)

Thanks for the info; you guys just saved me $50 bucks. I will order the VASST.

Will M.
That’s what I would like to see also in a Training DVD. Step by step in detail, and with video examples. I used to hook my GL2 up to the TV and see what each control would do. I learned a lot by doing that...and it was free.

My A1 should be here Friday, and I have permission from High Command for a Firestore FS-C 60.
Rob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #19
Major Player

Rob,
I'll totally be hooking the A1 up to my monitor and seeing what each control does. It would just be helpful if I could watch it a few times with someone explaining it to me. But I'll figure it out...now I've got to find a thread about calibrating my monitor... :)
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Will,
Agreed:)
Rob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Mahoney View Post
Rob,
I'll totally be hooking the A1 up to my monitor and seeing what each control does. It would just be helpful if I could watch it a few times with someone explaining it to me. But I'll figure it out...now I've got to find a thread about calibrating my monitor... :)
Download the demo Canon Console program (works in XP - not so good with Vista) and run through each setting. Great immediate feedback and you will have sample clips on your hard drive to compare.

The Pantone Huey is a great little tool for monitor calibration and you can get it for around $70-$75 (can be used to calibrate every monitor you own).
Hoy Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM   #22
Major Player

Anyone know if the VASST training video is available on PAL (UK) format? I have the Elite video but really like the sound of the VASST training video! I checked the VASST website but couldn't see anything about PAL there :o/
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM   #23
Go Cycle

The ELITE training video is long winded showing the outside controls of the camera. Really not a professional level training video. Go with Douglas' video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunphy View Post
Anyone know if the VASST training video is available on PAL (UK) format? I have the Elite video but really like the sound of the VASST training video! I checked the VASST website but couldn't see anything about PAL there :o/
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Peter

I have the VASST video, and although it's marked NTSC, I had no problems running it on a PC or a normal DVD player.

David
David Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:37 PM   #25
Major Player

I would suggest that you go to expertvilliage.com and search "Canon XHA1". There is a guy named Noah that has a bunch of training videos on the A1. I leared a great deal there. YOu can also search you tube. The last time I looked there was plent of short training sessions there.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #26
Major Player

Okay thanks David and Kevin - will check them out. Much appreciated.

Peter
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Dvd

I have the VASST video, and it taught me loads of stuff about the camera. The best thing was after watching the DVD several times, I was not afraid to play with the controls. Before I got the DVD I had trouble getting back to the "normal" setting. You will please with this DV.

ken.
Kenneth Burgener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #28
Major Player

I have the Vasat Video and found it invaluable instruction on the custom presets etc. As one who never owned a camera, or camcorder in my life, I walked into my local camera store, and being a musician, I told the guy I wanted a video camera that had a plug in microphone.

He brought out the XH-A1 showed it to me, and I bought it that day not knowing what a great camera it was. I guess I was just lucky. However, I was completely overwhelmed by it and the Vasat video as well as this forum have been great. I just last week got around to downloading the presets and can't wait to play with these. I just bought a HV30 to complement the XH-A1.

I also would recommend the Expert Village YouTube videos, some good info on the basics.

YouTube - How to Use a Canon XH A1 Video Camera : Zoom Options for the Canon XH A1

Michael

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Thames Classical Guitars
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:48 PM   #29
Major Player

I too tried the Elite DVD which was a bit of a disappointment. I got it before getting the camera - thinking I'd be ready, but I'd have done just as well downloading the instruction manual! What bugged me was in the first few minutes they talk about presets and even mention one (about making a shot look like an old film I think) they actually say "but more about that later" but there isn't more about it later. I emailed them to ask if my DVD was missing something - but I never got a reply

I'd like to see the Vaast DVD but it is just too expensive for me
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:49 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Just DO it................

I too, considered a DVD 'crash' course on the XH-A1 whilst awaiting deliivery of the camera itself. I also watched the EXPERT Village tutorials which, in all honesty, (and no disrespect to their author), were pretty inconsequential: (Here's the Auto button....if you want manual, turn the dial to 'M', this is where you plug the Microphones in.... this is where you plug in the headphones etc...........

If you need tutorials for those kinds of aspects, then the camera is probably beyond your capabilities and needs. The manual that comes with the camera pretty much covered it all. I shot in full manual mode from day one and learned how to stop screwing up fairly quickly. Once I'd downloaded and tried a few pre-sets that I liked, away you go.

Constantly checking FOCUS is a must, I find. Keep the exposure meter balanced about right, give a stop or two, and you can't go too far wrong. Alternatively, lock the shutter at 1/50th and let the camera do its own thing for a nice 'filmic' look, especially in 25p (Pal land, 24 fps elsewhere), mode. Books and videos have ther use, but the cost of some of these courses, to my mind, is money better spent on tapes for practise.
Mike Hardy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders