Lighting important with A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 27th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Lighting important with A1

Last night I shot some indoor footage with my Letus, just to play around and test. I didn't use an external monitor. I did well with the focus considering I only used the LCD onboard the camera. But I learned that ALOT of light is required with the A1 while using the LETUS. I had to set the gain below 3db to keep out the noise. Is it the A1 or just Hi Def that is the issue here? When I used my XL2 in the same room, I overexposed my shots a few times. What is a good maximum Iris setting with the Letus? Meaning more light the lower the number. I felt I could do ok going as low as 4.0? It seemed kinda muddy taking it on down to 2.8. How about some thoughts here? J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #2
Major Player

I heard the letus needs a ton of light indoors - which is the only downside. Just out of curiosity - you can't hook the letus to the XL2 can you? You were comparing the XL2 without an adaptor to the A1 with?

I'll be investing in an adaptor at some point in the near future - so I'm also curious about the letus and the Fstop - and a little intimidated if you feel you need an external monitor to focus it....

I picked up worker lights - they come with stands and are very cheap. They throw tons of light into the room - but are very hot and you can't point them at anyone without destroying eyeballs - need to bounce them off walls, ceilings or place behind, or behind a diffuser

For indoor you'll probably have to think about lighting your shots with the adaptor

trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It's not the A1 or HD, it's the Letus and the SLR lenses. With any adapter such as this you're going to lose 2 stops or more. Same as you will with filters such as polarizers, grads, or ND (depending on which ones you use).

So you'll want to open the iris more (to a lower number) to compensate and of course add the appropriate amount of light.

At 2.8 you're wider open than at 4.0, so it should/would be more muddy at 4.0 (in low light).

Depending on the room and whether it's day or night, and depending on what kind of lighting package you have will help determine the optimal exposure.
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Contributor

The Letus itself eats a stop or so, and then the SLR lens you use on the end of that is eating more. It would be sort of like shooting with your maximum ND on all the time.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Trustee

And the Letus Flip looses even more light!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Definitely gonna need more light to use it indoors. Trish, There is a Letus for the XL2 also. It actually replaces the removable lens.
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #7
Contributor

That's very cool that you can use the XL2 without the lens for a Letus. That makes it a lot more manageable, especially with the flip-enhanced version. A good reason to stick with the XL2 if you have one.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders