My rig is evolving. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 29th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Major Player

My rig is evolving.

I am not seeing many XHA1 and M2 rigs so i figured I would post my own.

Enjoy

http://www.notomatofilms.com/XHA1.jpg

Still looking for a follow focus.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey, is that a video camera in there? I think I spotted it. Serious looking rig. Its only a matter of time before the camera CCD unit is sold separately (a-la 'red ')? Ideally, a mix-and-match modular approach where we can assemble the ideal camera for each situation. Are you listening SONY?
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Tourist

Now that's a rig. Give us the details on your set up.
Drew Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Got the XHA1 hardmounted to the cam using a self-assembled unit (some polarizers and UV filter rings) The baseplate, matte box and hand grips are from Cavision, the rods are from Redrock (24" stainless) and sometimes use 13" carbon fibre from Cavision (unit, M2 and handgrips only for tight spaces).

The monitor is from Varizoom, the Canon variant of their SWIT series. Uses Canon batteries, has YUV component in, and shows 1440X480 lines, so focusing is pretty sharp.

I have the camera set up so my preset Zoom is perfectly alligned to my 35mm frame, and then I simply turn my focus ALL the way right (closest focus) and everything form the adapter is tack sharp. I actually had to space out the camera from the M2 a little more than with my XL2 to achieve close-focus, and my current set up is tack-sharp every time.
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Actually, imagers have been sold separately for a long time. HD imagers have been sold separately for over 8 years now. If you've ever seen a studio camera at a sporting event, it's just that - a sensor with a separate lens, monitor, power supply, and triax interface that feeds back to the "recorder" in the truck. On a smaller scale, they haven't flown off the shelf because it's not necessarily convenient to have a separate sensor/lens mount from the rest of the electronics and power supplies. In certain circumstances, it is indeed advantageous to be able to configure/reconfigure based on needs, but in others it's simply easier to use an all-in-one configuration. On its own, the XH-A1 is a great little camera that can do a whole lot. When attached to a 35mm adapter, accessories, etc... it's still more compact and convenient than a camera head, d2d recording system, battery system, etc... The thing that could put RED ahead is that they intend to integrate the whole system. All the pieces exist now and have existed (at some level of performance) for a long time. If they successfully mate everything, it will rise above the sum of its parts.

Oh, and Sony does make that part.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ose_Video.html

Back to the topic though - very nice implimentation of the Redrock system. You seem to have your kit well laid out for easy setup, which is often the deciding factor with adapters - if it can go on quickly and without fuss, it'll get used.

Now the REAL innovation - someone needs to hack the sony viewfinder protocol and provide a ready-for-market junction box to allow it to be used upright or flipped with any HDV/HD small camcorder. That would mean you don't need to add pro batteries just to make it balance on your shoulder. You could simply scoot the whole rig further back, and slide the viewfinder up over the C.G. of the whole thing. High rez VF with peaking makes handheld with a 35mm adapter a reality. MOVIETUBE did it, can't be TOO hard???
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

How much did that monitor run you? Looks real good.
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #7
Major Player

yeah, the SWIT is sweet. Almost as good as the Marshall,and cost about $1000 canadian.
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman View Post
Cool rig - thanks for sharing the image Matt.

If I'm not mistaken, it's Redrock's Follow Focus ring there on your lens. Are you looking for some other FF?
Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #9
Major Player

Jeeeeeeeeezzzzzzz....... I am going to rob a bank tomorrow to get some rockin accessories... Ha.. J/k... Good set up... I was lookin at that monitor yesterday... What tripod head is that? Good luck with it? Good for the A1 with the weight of the M2 and all the add ons?
Doug Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Matthew,

Very nice looking rig.

How's the 516 head working out for you? Any reason for picking it up in favor of other (like 503 or 501HDV Manfrotto heads)?

Happy filming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman View Post
I am not seeing many XHA1 and M2 rigs so i figured I would post my own.

Enjoy

http://www.notomatofilms.com/XHA1.jpg

Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I'm considering the cavision rods and shoulder support, but I can't find many reviews of it other than a couple of people saying the shoulder support isn't fantastic ... how have you found it ?
Kris Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Nice looking setup... what have you shot with it? :)
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Calhoun View Post
Nice looking setup... what have you shot with it? :)
Lol... Who cares what you have shot with something like that... What's really important is that it looks cool which is really the most important...

Functionality is a secondary goal to 'looking cool'.... : )
Doug Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Contributor

Zacuto in Chicago makes a really nice set of support rods.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hardmount

Do you put spacers between your hardmount and the M2? I got a hard mount and without spacers I found that the camera lens was just too close to the M2 to get a good focus. I have been wondering about what spacers to buy. I have heard that the microX (which has a flip in it) will also act as the achromat and the hardmount so maybe this is moot question.
Nate Clarke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders