Best Apple based workflow? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #1
New Boot

Best Apple based workflow?

Guys,

I'm shooting with my new A-1 which is great. The problem is when I try to do anything with the footage but look at it directly out of the camera using the canon cable, the footage looks very "Interlaced". I'm only shooting in 60i right now do to my software limitations. (Apple Final Cut Express HDV) I've tried saving it as several different formats but haven't found one that works.

I've seen some great footage taken and posted on these discussions, whats the secret?

My equipment:

Canon XH-A1
Apple G-5 Tower FCP 4.5 HD (Doesn't support HDV)
Apple MacBook Pro FCE HDV, iDVD, etc.
Scott Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Can you convert the footage to 24p once you bring it into final cut?

I think alot of the footage here is getting shot in native 24 and brought into various packages, vegas, premiere, fcp.

What do you mean by very interlaced? Is it actually playing back badly or just looks too video-ish?

I'd also post this question over in the mac editing section where there are more FCP users.

trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Contributor

I'm shooting everything with the XH A1 at 24fps and capturing with Final Cut Pro's 1080p24 Easy Setup and editing in a 24p timeline. No problems at all, and the footage looks great.

I've not yet shot any 60i footage, but don't see why it would look any more interlaced than the DV footage at 60i, which I have shot, and it looks fine.

If your editing system doesn't do native HDV, that may be the problem.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Andrews View Post
I'm only shooting in 60i right now do to my software limitations. (Apple Final Cut Express HDV)
If you're using Final Cut Express HD 3.5.1 you can actually use 30F from the A1. I do this all the time. Select the HDV 60i in the setup of FCE and import the 30F footage. Works beautifully. Also, iMovie (version 6) works with 30F from the A1. I've imported quite a lot of footage in this way as the capturing seems somewhat more convenient (for me at least).

Best,
Dino
Dino Leone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:05 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks guys,

I'll give those things a try. And yes I am somewhat limited with the FCE HDV not having a native HDV preset. I'll try the 30F idea though.
Scott Andrews is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders