DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Daytrip to Snoqualmie with the Letus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/95449-daytrip-snoqualmie-letus.html)

Steven Dempsey May 31st, 2007 01:15 AM

Daytrip to Snoqualmie with the Letus

My wife and I brought our Californian friends to Snoqualmie for the day. Glenn (also the composer I work with) has an HVX so we brought our weapons of choice.

Disclaimers:
1. The lens had dirt and specks on it so try to refrain from commenting on that :)
2. Some shots are not entirely in focus because this was grip and rip style shooting, all handheld.
3. I used the VIVIDRGB preset with color gain at 0 and sharpness at zero.
4. EDIT: I reuploaded a version with more contrast. I think it looks better. No other grading done.
5. I have posted my impressions of the HVX in the main section of this forum.
6. This was fun to shoot and put together and is a good memory of the day for us. (Wait a minute, that's not a disclaimer)

http://www.pinelakefilms.com/XHA1/glenn_720.wmv

Paul Watkins May 31st, 2007 08:10 AM

You always get the best out of a situation. I like it as always. I hope you do some indoor tests so I can have something to shoot for. I know it's not your thing. But, it would be appreciated.

Chris Li May 31st, 2007 08:21 AM

Steve,
Thanks for sharing. I visited Snoqualmie Falls a couple times on visits to Seattle area. Beautiflul place. I still haven't edited my sony A1-U footage from last summer's trip!
BTW, there is a brief shot in your footage of a gentleman holding what appears to be a wireless mike or some kind of camera?
Please enlighten,

chris/bethesda, MD

John C. Chu May 31st, 2007 08:34 AM

Good stuff! Nice compositions!

Who would have thought ten years ago that we would now have tools that can make ordinary "home videos" that can rival film?

I now have a greater appreciation of the significance of shallow DOF for story telling.

Glenn Thomas May 31st, 2007 09:50 AM

Steven, your videos always look great. Very nice, this one too. More than enough to keep me interested in buying an XHA1 one of these days when I can afford it.

Impressive work with the Letus too, especially on a trip like that. Is it the flip version you have, or were you using an LCD?

Steven Dempsey May 31st, 2007 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Li (Post 689589)
Steve,
Thanks for sharing. I visited Snoqualmie Falls a couple times on visits to Seattle area. Beautiflul place. I still haven't edited my sony A1-U footage from last summer's trip!
BTW, there is a brief shot in your footage of a gentleman holding what appears to be a wireless mike or some kind of camera?
Please enlighten,

chris/bethesda, MD

It's a Zoom H4 recording device. It's what we were using to record ambient sound.

Thanks for the comments

Mike Gorski May 31st, 2007 06:17 PM

Nice, looks great.

Stefan Antonescu July 12th, 2007 07:39 AM

Hi Steven,

I'm impressed with this one. Actually, it was this particularly movie that made me order the Letus FE.
What kind of light did you use in the train ?

Thanks.

Joan Manzaneque July 12th, 2007 01:06 PM

I just can say, amazing!
How much did u pay for the Letus? I might get it very soon.
Keep sharing stuff Steven.

Rafael Lopes July 12th, 2007 02:14 PM

Steven, what could be said about your work that hasn't been said yet? :D Excellent as usual.
Care to elaborate on what did you do on post?
The most cinematic shot for me it's the one at second 39ish. What lens were you using there? A 135mm?

I have a couple of letus35A and even though I manage to get a cool look out of them I always find them to have a tiny bit of barrel distortion on the edges. But with the letus35 FE I don't see that at all. Maybe it's time for me to give it a try...

Stefan Antonescu July 13th, 2007 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan Manzaneque (Post 711089)
I just can say, amazing!
How much did u pay for the Letus? I might get it very soon.
Keep sharing stuff Steven.

The Letus FE costs $700. I payed an extra $90 for an nice Fedex shipment.

Danny Hensley July 23rd, 2007 05:29 PM

I just visited Snoqualmie last weekend, I definitely saw the train you guys rode.

Good work Steve, I enjoy your work very much.

John Welsh August 7th, 2007 07:29 PM

is it letus35fe ? and looked like 24mm lense on it.

John Welsh August 12th, 2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Welsh (Post 725125)
is it letus35fe ? and looked like 24mm lense on it.

Hmmm seems like Ive learned a lot in just a week;D

John,
yes, it is letus fe adapter with three different lenses (as I could recognize them). 24mm shots have deep dof. For example the first shot is on 24mm lense (I hope so :D). The close up on microphone (or whatever the man was holding) has shallow dof; it is probably a 100mm lense.

//After like dozen times watching the clip I started to love it. Im really impressed. And just because of you I started to like A1. You even managed to catch a picture of my favourite car in 01:50 :). Thank you.

Steven Dempsey August 12th, 2007 05:16 PM

Nice :)

Actually, it's a 28mm lens.

28mm, 50mm, and 100mm used.