No Audio When Capturing Canon XHA1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 4th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

No Audio When Capturing Canon XHA1

Capturing via Firewire. I can see the audio playing in the capture window but I'm not getting any sound. I've tried all the various options for playback. It's only during capture.
Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?

MAC PRO 2.66, 4GB RAM, FCS2
Michael Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Contributor

If you see the audio on the meters then you should be capturing it. Have you tried playing it back after capture? On my system I can't hear the audio as it's capturing. If I want to hear it, flip out your LCD and listen to it from the camera.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Remember that the Select/Set wheel acts as a volume control during record and playback; may be worth checking to confirm that the volume is turned up....
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ross Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #4
New Boot

No audio on capture

I have a similar problem.

I recently purchased an A1 & shot some footage on it yesterday. The camera is set to 1080i/60i with the down convert turned off (per manual instructions).

When I opened the project in FCP, I did the Easy Setup for HDV.

The capture was glitchy. I would capture "Clip" and half the time I would get a timecode error message. I would just try it again and usually it would begin capture.

No matter what I did, I only got video with no audio.

I tried all the settings on the camera & in FCP that I could to no avail.

I tried to customize my capture preferences too, but the HDV preferences are locked and the Edit & Duplicate buttons are greyed out.

And not only no audio, but the video shows up unrendered on the timeline.

Any ideas?
Matthew St. Carrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

When I first captured from my XH-A1 I also had the timecode errors half the time. Then I found out there are two settings (I think it was in easy setup): firewire and firewire basic. When I changed to firewire basic, the timecode-not-found problems were gone. I think the other setting is for Sony cameras.

I've had no problems capturing audio though.
Winfried Dobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #6
New Boot

A1 capture issues

Thanks for the response.

I followed your advice to set the device control to HDV FW Basic (it was set on a Sony HDV setting), but when I batch capture it still occasionally gives me an error, which if I click "continue" it tries to capture again and usually works.

I checked the sequence settings and found that they didn't match the capture preferences. After changing them, my clips were no longer showing up unrendered.

The strange thing is, if I use Batch or Clip Capture I get no audio. If I use Capture Now, I get both video and audio.

>???
Matthew St. Carrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders