Optimal LCD Settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 6th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Optimal LCD Settings?

Just starting using the A1. Great camera!

Most of my shooting is without the benefit of having an external monitor. I'm wondering what settings on the LCD monitor people feel most accurately show what the A1 is getting.

Thanks
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Camera's LCD Display

Hi All,

It seems that everytime I shoot anything the clips in the LCD Display is always brighter than when I capture it to Vegas?
Please tell me as how I can correct that so that what I see is actually the same as whan I import it into NLE.

Thanks
Matthew
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

You don't want to match the video to a computer screen. Instead you want to match it to a video monitor. Go to Menu > Display Setup > LCD Setup to change the brightness, contrast and other characteristics of the LCD display (see also the CVF Setup menu for the color viewfinder). Make these adjustments while you're reviewing video on a proper video monitor connected to your editing system.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Major Player

LCDs are not very good for judging anything. You can't really correct them so that you can use them to judge color or brightness.

I know that my LCD is brighter and the color is saturated so I can shoot accordingly.
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah, I've found the same thing. I use 100% zebras and pull the exposure back just to where they disappear, but then my footage seems to be darker upon playback on my HD studio monitor (or in my Avid) than I thought it was going to be.

So what I tried was as Chris suggested, calibrating the LCD to my studio monitor - however I must say the footage was still slighty dark after my next shoot (nothing major that couldn't be corrected though).

So now I've simply lowered the brightness on the camera's LCD again and I think it's going to work better for me. I plan to do a test later this week...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders