Sony Z1 Tapes in an XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 6th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony Z1 Tapes in an XH-A1

Anyone know if it works?

My friend has an A1 and I got some tapes from a rented Z1 that I need the footage off of...

Anyone try it?
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Contributor

It should work OK, assuming they were shot HDV at 60i with the Sony.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Major Player

That's what they said about the HV10... apparently they work in the HV20 but not the HV10...

It's all 1080i60 HDV footage
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

HDV is a standard, like DV, all manufacturers have to make HDV cameras conforming to the standard. The only incompatibility would be PAL tape played in NTSC, or 24p which consumer HDV may not support (I am not sure)
Juni Zhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Contributor

Canon 24P HDV will not play in anything but the Canon cameras. JVC's 720P24 won't play in anything but JVC. The Canon and Sony 1080i HDV should play in both Canon and Sony cameras/decks. But, as in all things video, "should" is the operative word.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #6
New Boot

Sony Tapes

Man if they are Sony Brand tapes don't put them in the camera unless you are ready to have it cleaned. The tape itself is designed differant and will clog up the feed system and Drum when you go back to a Panasonic or Canon Tape.

WB
Wynn Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Canon 24P HDV will not play in anything but the Canon cameras. JVC's 720P24 won't play in anything but JVC. The Canon and Sony 1080i HDV should play in both Canon and Sony cameras/decks. But, as in all things video, "should" is the operative word.
That's my point.

I tested the Z1 tapes

They work in a Canon HV20, Sony HC3, Sony HC5, Sony V1, Sony Z1 (I'd hope haha it was recorded on one)

My friend has an A1 (20 minutes from me) and my other friend has a V1 (1500 miles from me) I can ship the tapes to V1 and he can capture the footage, slap it on a external harddrive and ship the drive up to me.

Or if I can convince my friend with the A1 to lend it to me I can capture the footage with his camera and have his camera back to him within a 6 hour period.

Just curious if anyone tested it.
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #8
Contributor

I'd borrow the A1 and try it. They really should work OK.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders