DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Scratched Lens update (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/96030-scratched-lens-update.html)

John L. Miller June 7th, 2007 01:24 PM

Scratched Lens update

A while back I had posted that my coating on the exterior glass of the lens had been scratched. I didn't think it was showing up in the footage, but in some recent footage I noticed a small foggy spot when shooting a dark colored object. I called Canon first, and they told me to ship it to them..they said there may or may not be a charge. Then I called the authorized Canon dealer, I won't say who because they are not a sponsor here, (is this the rule?), and since I have only had the camera for about 3 weeks, they said they would gladly replace it. What great customer service! I shipped it back to them yesterday. I should have my new one in 7 to 10 days. But I can tell you this: it won't happen to me again. I ordered a Double threaded HIGH quality UV filter so I can permanently affix it to my camcorder and still be able to attach my letus35 without damaging my lens. J

Kevin Kimmell June 7th, 2007 02:55 PM

I'm still idiotically shooting naked and am wondering if you'd share the model of the double threaded UV lense that you got and at what price.

Thanks,
K

Frederic Gittler June 7th, 2007 03:56 PM

The topic of UV-haze (protection) filters is probably one of the most hotly debated subjects in photo forums... Some swear by them, other will (almost) never touch them.

One thing is certain: el'cheapo filters are to be avoided. You really want quality, front and back multi-coated filters. I currently have a B+W 72mm UV Haze 010 (MRC) Multi-Resistant Coating Glass Filter on my A1. I am also using the Hoya Super HMC Pro1 filters on my digital SLR: they are lighter than the B+W, but more difficult to clean. Both remain invisible in the vast majority of my pictures.

NOTE: Hoya has replaced the Pro1 by the Pro1 Digital, which I have not used yet.
---
Fred

Bill Pryor June 7th, 2007 04:00 PM

I've used Tiffen Seris 9 filters for more years than I care to think about. But with the XH A1 I got one of those thin (3mm) Hoya clear glass "digital" filters, for about 75 bucks. I was a little concerned because it's cheap, but it seems fine. I can't tell it's on. The thin filter doesn't have treads on the other side, but I don't like to stack filters anyway unless necessary.

Tom Roper June 7th, 2007 06:14 PM

I use the same B+W uv filter as above but I wonder if the small foggy spot wasn't something else, like a microscopic particle of dust on the CCD sensor itself.

These cams are assembled in filtered clean rooms but it doesn't take much.

John L. Miller June 7th, 2007 09:54 PM

I am glad to share what I purchased. I purchased the SHMC Super HMC 72mm UV filter. I checked Hoya's website and this along with the 3mm thin filter and the pro1 and pro1 digital that has already been mentioned here were all allowing closed to 98% of light through, compared to the cheap ones allowing around 92 percent and less. PLUS, I read that these have the aluminum ring..I got the thicker to support my letus on the female threads on the outside of the filter. I purchased this thing for one reason, to protect my lens while using my letus. J Oh, I think it was 40.00 shipped from EBAY, new in package.

Rene Roslev June 8th, 2007 02:54 AM

I use and recommend B+W 72mm F-Pro UV 010 MRC.
Can be had for less than $70 incl. p&p from US dealer.

Bo Sundvall June 8th, 2007 11:53 AM

Hi

I have a question, perhaps a little stupid, but is it possible to have a filter on the XH-A1 and still have the lens hood attatched? Is there room for more than one filter?

I don't have an A1 yet but perhaps some day....

Regards,

/Bo

Axel Ehrich June 8th, 2007 12:21 PM

Filter and lens hood

Hi Bo,

I have a Heliopan UV-SH-PMC "slim" filter on my A1. The lens hood can still be attached without any problems. You can also have more than one filter on your A1, but you should be aware that this will increase the distance of the outer filter to the front lens. This makes it more likely that dust particles on the outer lens show on the footage at bright shots when the iris is well closed.

Axel

John L. Miller June 8th, 2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Sundvall (Post 693995)
Hi

I have a question, perhaps a little stupid, but is it possible to have a filter on the XH-A1 and still have the lens hood attatched? Is there room for more than one filter?

I don't have an A1 yet but perhaps some day....

Regards,

/Bo

of course you can have the lens hood with the filter. The filter screws right into the lens housing. It is almost invisible once attached. I would certainly make sure it is double threaded, meaning male threads to screw into your lens and female threads on the outside to add additional filters.

Emiel Labree June 17th, 2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axel Ehrich (Post 694014)
Hi Bo,

I have a Heliopan UV-SH-PMC "slim" filter on my A1. The lens hood can still be attached without any problems.

Does the lenscap also still fit, or does the filter come with a seperate cap?

I have 72mm filter from my Sony FX1 and the hood still fits on my A1, but the lenscap doesn't. Don't like to keep the lens or the filter exposed all the time. I thought the built-in cap of the FX1 was smart, but then again, when you had to remove the hood because of add-ons, you had no lenscap.

Paul Joy June 17th, 2007 03:47 PM

I've been using a UV filter on my XHA1 since it was new although one thing that I've just discovered is that if you buy the canon WD-72 wide adapter you have to remove the UV filter before you can mount the wide adapter due to the adapter having an extended part that fits inside the end of the lens.

Paul.

John L. Miller June 17th, 2007 07:22 PM

Being that a dual thread filter has external female threads (72mm), surely a screw end lenscap is available somewhere. I will look into that. I am fairly certain the xh a1 factory lenscap is useless with a filter. J

Bill Watson June 17th, 2007 08:16 PM

I don't have any problems with the Canon lens cap fitting on my UV or CP filters.

Emiel Labree June 18th, 2007 01:18 AM

I have been told, yesterday, that the Canon lenscap fits perfectly on the 72mm filters from Hoya, and the whole line of filters they have.