DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon loaded XHG1 firmware onto my A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/96056-canon-loaded-xhg1-firmware-onto-my-a1.html)

Brian Ford June 7th, 2007 07:44 PM

Canon loaded XHG1 firmware onto my A1

After waiting for 6 weeks to get my XHA1 back from the canon repair depot to fix my broken manual focus ring, I get my camera back and try taking some footage.. Everything is fine until I try to play back the footage and it doesn't work properly. Its plays for about 1 second then pauses for a second or two then plays for another second, etc... I've tried all kinds of things including playing back tapes I had recorded before sending my camera in for repair. nothing works..

In the process I notice a whole bunch of things that I don't recognize and it leads me to believe the canon technician loaded the XHG1 firmware onto my A1. Here's a list of the following things that make me think this is what happened. The LCD on the side says TC-(INOUT) and HD-SDI.. In the menus I now have three options "GENLCK ADJUST", "SDI OUTPUT" and "SDI SPEC" under the signal setup menu. The manual says these are XHG1 only, but I can't remember if they were there on my A1 before.. Can someone check if their A1 has these options?

It would be GREAT if I could now actually use the BNC out as SDI but considering I can't even record to tape and playback it leads me to believe there are more significant differences between the A1 and G1 than just a couple of missing in/out connectors..

Looks like I'll have to call canon and send it back in again! This SUCKS! I have to pay for shipping again!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Is there anyway to see what version of firmware is loaded? Oh, also when I connect via firewire to the computer it shows up as Canon XHG1.. I can't remember if that was normal or not..

Wynn Bradford June 7th, 2007 08:40 PM

OOOps

Brian I dont have anything like that in mine but we have a H1 and it also has those in the menu...so yes I bet they messed up. Sorry man!!

Wynn Bradford

Doug Davis June 7th, 2007 09:33 PM

That sounds really dissapointing....

Yay I got my camera back... Oh wait no it's worse than when I sent it in.... *Horray canon...*

Bill Busby June 7th, 2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ford (Post 693641)
Looks like I'll have to call canon and send it back in again! This SUCKS! I have to pay for shipping again!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Is there anyway to see what version of firmware is loaded? Oh, also when I connect via firewire to the computer it shows up as Canon XHG1.. I can't remember if that was normal or not..

Looks like Canon really boo boo'd. There's no way you should pay for anything & I can't imagine Canon not doing everything possible to get this resolved in an expedited manner.

To see your firmware version, place the A1 in card mode, then switch to VCR mode. In the menu, go to System Setup. It should show you the firmware version grayed out.

Bill

Brian Ford June 7th, 2007 11:15 PM

Doug, you're so right.. at least the manual focus ring does work now..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 693722)
To see your firmware version, place the A1 in card mode, then switch to VCR mode. In the menu, go to System Setup. It should show you the firmware version grayed out.

Cool thanks.. It says Firmware 1.0.1.0
Doesn't state A1 or G1 though..

I'm gonna call Canon in the morning and post an update.. I'm not looking forward to trying to explain this one to them though.. Their phone support people haven't been the most knowledgeable ppl I've dealt with..

Bill Busby June 7th, 2007 11:17 PM

Mine says 1.0.0.0. It seems obvious someone fudged something.

Keep us posted.

Bill

David McGiffert June 7th, 2007 11:57 PM

Wow Brian,

now I've heard everything..

I like your sense of humor about it though.
I hope they fix it asap.

David

Chris Hurd June 8th, 2007 09:51 AM

Rather than complaining about it here, which accomplishes *nothing,* what you need to do is contact the service center and inform them of the error. I highly doubt that they'll expect you to pay for shipping it since the mistake was theirs. Most likely they'll give you their shipping account information and take care of the trip both ways; after all that's only fair.

There's nothing else we can do for you in this thread. Contact Canon immediately. Good luck,