XH A1 eyepiece alternative? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 13th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Why make it so complicated & expensive?

After historically following the XH-A1 eyepiece modification threads for some months .... & cringing at the cost of importing Sony & or other options (to New Zealand) ... this is what I have been using ... a US5¢ hair tie from my daughter's hair accessories kit. Use the fattest fluffiest ones you can put your hands on.

In action it has yet to fall off (you will find a mixed 50 for say $2US in your local dime store!) ... if it does ... plop on another

It is perfectly comfortable .... I use it with a modified (counterweighted) Spyderbrace) with my eye pressed firmly onto the eyepiece for long periods & the fabric (while not cotton) wicks away any perspiration.

jpeg attached.

Cheers,

Graham
Attached Thumbnails
XH A1 eyepiece alternative?-hair_tie_l1.jpg  
Graham Budd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #17
Contributor

Clever! And effective.

B&H has the little disposable chamois eyepeices. I used to use them with film cameras, which also have crappy eyepieces like the XH A1. This fluffy thing actually looks better, especially if you wear glasses. If I hadn't already bought the Sony eyepiece, I would do this.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #18
Regular Crew

What I find amazing is that Canon must be aware of the problem with their eyepiece (I too wear glasses and the eyepiece on the XH-A1 is useless) yet they are so willing to let a Sony product be the solution. Is this because they can't produce an eyecup for the same cost? Shows Canon's committment to the product!.
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #19
Major Player

Slick Graham! I've actually been using one of my toddlers socks (new and unused of course) for a while now, I just cut the foot off and use the tube part folded over. This was to give some additional comfort , but I was prescribed glasses last week, so have yet to test it out.
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Budd View Post
I use it with a modified (counterweighted) Spyderbrace) with my eye pressed firmly onto the eyepiece for long periods & the fabric (while not cotton) wicks away any perspiration.
Wow. I'd like to hear more about your modified Spider Brace... I've been wanting to do something like that with mine.

-John
John B. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #21
Contributor

Guy, I don't think it related to Canon's commitment to the product, but it might have something to do with their consumer mindset. I don't think they know whether the XH series is a consumer camera or a professional camera, and it still has some of the GL series holdover design things, the lack of a useable eyecup being one. You ever try to find the camera on Canon's web site? You go to consumer products, click on a picture of a single chip consumer camera and finally get to these cameras. I'm not saying the XH's aren't pro cameras, they are. But clearly the consumer mindset is there at Canon, and I think it shows up occasionally. The web site is one, the eyepiece the other. The ON wheel on the side--it goes to the auto settings first, so you have to be careful to crank through them to get to the manual, that lockout switch next to the record button that screws people up, the inability to bring in audio at line on one channel, mic on the other...all consumer type things. I can live with all that, but not the lack of an eyecup. In a logical world, that would have been fixed by now and they would offer one designed for the camera...but we all know how Corporate America works, and I'm guessing Corporate Japan is probably not too different.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Well, I bought the Sony eyepiece and as others suggested, it fits the XH-A1 perfectly. It certainly is what I needed to focus/frame when shooting outdoors. It still amazes me that Canon does not offer this simple part as an accessory.

For people who wear glasses the eyepiece cup is an absolute necessity. The problem we have is the problem of stray light getting between the glasses we wear and the eyepiece on the camera. The eyepiece cup actually wraps around the eyeglasses preventing stray light (a glare like problem) from washing out the image in the view finder. It's kind of similar to wearing a hat with a brim. The brim cuts out glare.
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders