Indoor preset for wedding? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 10th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Indoor preset for wedding?

In two weeks time i'm shooting a wedding for a friend. I plan to use Steven Dempsey's vivid rgb preset for the external shots but i'm not sure if i should use something else for the indoor stuff. Unfortunately i have not been to the location so am not sure what the light will be like, All i know is that its in a country house, not a church. Should i stick with Steven's preset or switch when i go indoors? I've considered using the factory setting indoors because i'm a keen colourist and can get the look i want in FCP.
Any thoughts?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Dom. Based on my experience, I'd stay away from the VividRGB preset with tungsten lighting. Skin tones seem to take on more reddish cast. However, if you're indoors during the day & there's more dominant natural sunlight coming through windows, etc., it might be ok, or Panalook in this case would look good as well.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #3
Major Player

I've shot three or four using Pana and been happy with the results.

Just used Vivid a couple of weeks ago but it was for a beach wedding then a marquee so i can't really comment how it looked in true indoors.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Ok, thanks guys. So its panalook indoors and and vivid outside. I like both these presets and hate the factory setting, but if the indoor lacks natural sunlight i might have to give it a go and sort out in post.
BTW, this is my first real wedding, can anyone suggest a useful info site with some good tips?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

shot with vividrgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson View Post
Ok, thanks guys. So its panalook indoors and and vivid outside. I like both these presets and hate the factory setting, but if the indoor lacks natural sunlight i might have to give it a go and sort out in post.
BTW, this is my first real wedding, can anyone suggest a useful info site with some good tips?
i shot the following using vividrgb plus white balancing was on manual and so was my shooting mode. lighting stayed the same so i did not have to worry about anything.

also check out :- http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/wedding.html

Last edited by Kalulu Ngilo; February 12th, 2008 at 02:51 AM.
Kalulu Ngilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Kalulu,
That looks like a really useful link. I'll have a good read this weekend.
Dom
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders