Why not AT815ST? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 14th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Why not AT815ST?

I've searched the forum and seen a lot of posts mentioning Audio-Technica AT835ST as a good shotgun-style stereo mic. Why not a slightly longer AT815ST? It supposed to provide more directional pickup and with a longer tube, a better separation between the M and S pickups.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Contributor

I'm not familiar with this specific mic, but generally a long shotgun is not good for tight shooting. It's more for outdoor use. A long time ago I used a Shure long shotgun mic. It was a great mic, but in a boomy room if I got it in tight enough to minimize the boominess, I'd get other problems. It always wanted to be 3 or 4 feet away, whereas normally you use a shotgun within 18" or less. They have their uses, for when you can't get in as close as you'd like, and for outdoor use.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #3
Wrangler

Longer, therefore more likely to get into the image if mounted on the camcorder could be one reason.
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Bill, Don:

Thank you for your input.

Having considered what you said and after reading several reviews on the web, I decided to go with AT835ST. I tested it out and it sounds very good to my ears. I will be recording with it tonight.
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Contributor

I know a couple of soundmen who really like the AT shotguns. I shot one show where sound from one was intercut with similar location interviews done with the MKH60 and nobody could tell the difference.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Just finished capturing the HDV footage and watched about 10 minutes of it. I am very satisfied with how the sound came out. For me, the AT835ST is a keeper.

On another note, I finally setup the workflow I wanted - no extra wires, no re-capture or re-encoding in order to watch the raw captured footage.

The video goes from the computer to Playstation 3 and then directly to 65" Mitsubishi HDTV via 1080i analog component connection. Just capture to the computer, and use the same source for raw footage preview and for editing.
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders