remote operation of xh a1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 15th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

remote operation of xh a1?

Question....any suggestions on using the remote to record from a position other than from the front?

i have a hummingbird nest set up about 15 feet away from a nest, and have stepped back to document the humminbird female feeding her young. after waiting several hours...and just running 'record' on blank tapes until i got her on the nest...is a waste of tape.

i would like to use the remote...and set up a mirror taped to the front of the mike to bounce off the infrared beam that i would trigger from behind...but also i am not sure i can turn the recorder 'on' and with the remote, then record. any suggestions out there? bill
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Very simple and effective solution: use a wired remote lens controller. There are a variety of them that will operate the XH A1. They connect via the Control-L jack (the blue jack) on the back connections panel under the rubber tab. All of them offer record / pause control and zoom control; plus many other features depending on the type and brand of controller. They are worth their weight on gold. The Canon ZR-2000 controller has a 12 or 15 foot cable, but you can easily extend any such cable. See this article I wrote for RES Magazine several years ago for more information about LANC controllers:

http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/camaccs/vzprolx.php

We have a forum dedicated to all kinds of remote camera controls:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

chris...thanks for the information. but all i want to do is to turn the camera either on off, or just start recording. i can go into the menu and turn off the battery save function...so then all i want to do is simply wait, when the hummingbird approaches..then fire the record butten, the pause it or stop it. thats it. predertmined manual focus etc. do i then still need a lanc controller, or is there something out there cheap that i can string a 25 foot cable to? thanks in advance. bill
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Boehm View Post
chris...thanks for the information. but all i want to do is to turn the camera either on off, or just start recording. i can go into the menu and turn off the battery save function...so then all i want to do is simply wait, when the hummingbird approaches..then fire the record butten, the pause it or stop it. thats it. predertmined manual focus etc. do i then still need a lanc controller, or is there something out there cheap that i can string a 25 foot cable to? thanks in advance. bill
I think you can use an extension cable with any lanc controller that works. I have a couple, but not real cheap ones.

However, if you can turn-off the auto shut-off feature in the camera, you should be able to use the remote without a problem.

One question though, if the camera starts up as the bird is approaching, won't the noise scare the bird? I don't know.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Boehm View Post
I have the zr-2000 with my A1. You can let the camera go into standby mode and the zr-2000 will wake it.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

no..noise doesnt bother them...it is movement. of course the call of a predator, be it a sharp shinned hawk or whatever will alert them. bill
William Boehm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders