Record the display? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 19th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Record the display?

I just got my A1 and I'm getting ready to go out and do some test shoots to get familiar with my camera. Is there a way to record the display (the various settings that are displayed in the LCD or Viewfinder) info into the actually video image - for reference? I looked in the manual and couldn't find anything.

And since this is my first post let me say "hi" to everyone.
Dan Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Major Player

When you playback, hit datacode on the remote and it will display f stop, shutter speed and gain at the time you shot the video.
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lambert View Post
Is there a way to record the display (the various settings that are displayed in the LCD or Viewfinder) info into the actually video image - for reference?
Yes -- it's a custom function called Character Record. In the Custom Function menu, toggle setting #20 to position 01 in order to turn it on. This is described in the manual on pages 84 through 89.

Welcome aboard,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Yes -- it's a custom function called Character Record. In the Custom Function menu, toggle setting #20 to position 01 in order to turn it on. This is described in the manual on pages 84 through 89.

Welcome aboard,
Excellent, thanks!
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
When you playback, hit datacode on the remote and it will display f stop, shutter speed and gain at the time you shot the video.
Damn...thats awesome. I didn't even know about that!

*goes to try it*

- Kyle
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:

Welcome aboard,
Does it reset automatically when you cycle the power, or do you have to go back and change it manually? Could be a cool effect for a verite style shot, but knowing me, I'd forget to turn it off and have a whole day's shooting with the data burned in.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Yeah, but the original poster asked about burned-in data, and this trick won't do it.

Old June 19th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lowe View Post
Does it reset automatically when you cycle the power, or do you have to go back and change it manually?
Once a Custom Function profile is applied, it stays on, even when the power is cycled. You have three CF profiles to choose from, so you could relegate this setting to CF.3 for instance, and be careful to turn it off each time when you're finished, or apply some other CF profile. Also, if you're using the Custom Display option, make sure that you leave the CF indicator on. Otherwise you won't know if it's on or not, and once Char. Rec. is selected, there's no way to change that video to and get rid of the burn-in.

Old June 19th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Yeah, but the original poster asked about burned-in data, and this trick won't do it.

I just read it wrong, I was assuming that he is new with the camera and wanted to know what the shot would look like if he shot it at a certain f-stop of gain or whatever, didn't know that he really wanted to burn it in.
This is a great way to check your settings after the real shoot, you don't have any real burn in.
Old June 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

After re-reading his original post, now I'm not sure that he wanted burned-in data either. Between us though we seemed to have covered it both ways, so it's all good.

Old June 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
After re-reading his original post, now I'm not sure that he wanted burned-in data either. Between us though we seemed to have covered it both ways, so it's all good.
I'm not sure what I wanted either :) But I understand both options now, so thanks again.
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

posted in error - removed
Colin Browell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders