DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   A1 Pelicase Foam Cutting Advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/97441-a1-pelicase-foam-cutting-advice.html)

John Lewis June 25th, 2007 01:03 AM

A1 Pelicase Foam Cutting Advice

I finally got a Pelicase flightcase for my A1, but as the camera is so new there aren't any custom foam sets for it yet. I am going to have to cut the blank foam inserts to fit the camera.

Not something I've had to do before, anyone got any tips? Has anyone got a nicely laid out pelicase foam that they'd be willing to photograph so I can get an idea of my layout options?

I want to try and case pretty much everything that came with the camera, all the cables, chargers and power supply, as well as a few slots for tapes and filters etc.

I've been trying to work something out on paper first, but it's pretty nerve wracking trying to summon up the courage to make the cuts without being certain of the layout I am going for!

Anyone got any advice?

Anyone got a pic of their case layout?

Paul Mailath June 25th, 2007 01:45 AM

this is how I got the job done - for what it's worth.

I got layers of foam (flat foam is best) and simply cut progressive patterns in to fit the camera - it's not hard to do. I used spray glue to fix the foam to the case and the separate layers together - it'a not flash but it does the job and cost me $65 all up

pics in this thread

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=93787

Paul Joy June 25th, 2007 02:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi there.

If you have the pick 'n' pluck foam with your peli case then the amount of cutting you need to do is minimal. I've attached a couple of pic of my Peli 1510 showing how my A1 and accessories fit inside it. The foam in mine came in two layers, it's just a case of removing what you need from both layers.

I removed the top layer first by roughly marking around my camera by easing the pre-cut parts apart and then removed the camera shape. After that I did the same with the bottom layer which was a slightly different shape as not all camera parts made contact.

I wanted to be able to leave the matte box thingy attached so have also cut some of the foam in the lid which allows me to close the case without putting too much pressure on it, but at the same time keeping everything snug.

Some of the bottom layer parts can be cut in half with a bread knife (or other serrated knife) and reinserted to give a shallower base.

I've yet to glue all the parts back together in mine as I'm not entirely sure what glue to use, but it works well.

Paul.

Bill Watson June 25th, 2007 02:24 AM

Use a metal ruler to separate the foam 'plugs'. It does it very neatly without cutting into the foam.

If you want to re-attach the foam in any spot, use superglue. Works fine.

John Lewis June 25th, 2007 07:46 AM

Perfect! Thanks for the advice!

Ken Wozniak June 26th, 2007 06:21 PM

Does anybody know where to purchase large pieces of the pluck foam? I sorta screwed mine up and have no room for accessories, so I need new foam.

Jack Walker June 26th, 2007 08:45 PM

Here is the page at Pelican that lists replacement foam numbers. The foam can be ordered from big mail order dealers or other Pelican dealers:
https://www.pelicanpro.com/AWWebStore/Store.asp

I was at Century Optics today. They have an XH-A1 in a Pelican case. The use the Pelican padded dividers. The camera and accessories fit perfectly, with many more little sections than is possible with the foam. The camera itself was tight in the middle with small sections (adjustable with the dividers) all the way around. There was also padding above and below. The camera was as well protected as with foam, but the dividers made it possible to use more of the space. I don't know what the number of the case was, but it was a medium-size, probable in the 15xx range.

Also, go to B&H and find your case. Replacement foam and divider set are probably in the Accessories list.

Richard Alvarez June 26th, 2007 09:06 PM

If you have to cut 'non -pick and pluck' foam, I reccomend using an electric carving knife. Cuts perfectly and smoothly.

Personally I prefer the padded velro sections. I use the Pelican 1650 with the padded tray and sections for my XL2 and LOTS of accessories. Everyting is snugged down and solidly padded. Travels well and I'll never go back to foam inserts.

Danny Aldaca June 27th, 2007 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez (Post 703405)
If you have to cut 'non -pick and pluck' foam, I reccomend using an electric carving knife. Cuts perfectly and smoothly.

Personally I prefer the padded velro sections. I use the Pelican 1650 with the padded tray and sections for my XL2 and LOTS of accessories. Everyting is snugged down and solidly padded. Travels well and I'll never go back to foam inserts.

Hi Richard,
Can you tell me where I can buy the padded velcro?