Canon XHA1 - capturing 60i footage using HDVSPLIT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 25th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XHA1 - capturing 60i footage using HDVSPLIT

Hey everyone - yesterday I recorded half an hour of footage at our local festival where they burn effigies all over town, spectacular stuff. I captured it in 60i mode as I plan to slow mo the footage later!

When filming I made sure I was at 1/120 shutter speed and in 60i HDV mode. The problem now is that when I try to capture the footage using HDVSPLIT - which by the way works beautifully for my XHA1 and its 24F footage - I get captured 60i footage which is unusable as whenever the camera moves even an inch, I can see horizontal lines all over the edges of moving objects - I´m sure there is a technical name for this - interlacing lines or something!

Just to confirm thinks werent completely messed up, I checked the 60i footage on the XHA1 viewfinder and no signs of these massive horizontal smear lines, to be doubly sure that there wasn´t any problem with the 60i footage on the tape, I fed the signal out live to my 26 inch widescreen LCD via cOMPONENT and even with the picture blown up big, no horizontal smearing on the feed live off the camera - I can´t think whats wrong, any pointers?

It is also worth noting that this sony HDV tape I recorded the footage onto has previous had 24F material on it recorded by my XHA1 - not sure if this is relevant. I am using HDVSPLIT 0.75 and Mainconcept MPEG PRO 1.0.6 to view the mt2 files.
Alex Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bianco View Post
I can see horizontal lines all over the edges of moving objects - I´m sure there is a technical name for this - interlacing lines or something!
You are viewing an interlaced video on a progressive display. The software you are using is not deinterlacing the video. Try VideoLAN, it has several 'de-interlace' modes that you may choose from.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

ahh, I wonder if that is the case - the display where I see the horrible lines is the display of my high end sony vaio AR-250G... I am going to try out your suggestion Daniel...

Out of interest, I ran a test yesterday in the safe conditions of my own home to see if I could reproduce this problem - I shot 60i on the XHA1 at 1/60 shutter speed, 1/120 shutter speed, and 1/240 shutter speed - now what was interesting was that at 1/60 I gained some blurring (as I knew I would) but the interlace lines were pretty much gone, 1/120 almost no blurring, lots of interlacing, and 1/240 masses of interlacing no blurring!

Someone smarter than me will be able to explain this to me I am sure.
Alex Bianco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders