DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   more depth of field? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/97847-more-depth-field.html)

Juni Zhao June 29th, 2007 10:03 PM

more depth of field?

A1 doesnt seem to give much shallow depth of field. Is there any trick to make the background more blurry?

Juni Zhao June 29th, 2007 10:05 PM

well, I really meant shallower depth of field, more blurry back ground..

Sam Ren June 29th, 2007 10:22 PM

Hmm

Lots of other threads about this just search for DOF or Depth of field... but a good way to get good DOF is to go further away and zoom in all the way or as much as you can and leave room between what your shooting and the background.. also open up the iris as much as you can.. use the nd filters on the cam and you can even add another one on top of that to be able to keep iris all the way open..

-Sam~!

Mike Gorski June 30th, 2007 07:16 AM

IMHO coming from the AG-DVC30 which was a three CCD 1/4" camcorder the DOF on the A1 is superb improvement due to the larger sensors. I've had really great results thus far but the DOF is most obviously more noticeable at longer telephoto shots.

Kyle Prohaska June 30th, 2007 08:39 PM

The trick to get the most the camera can get is:

Zoom in as far as you can
Keep the Iris open as much as possible

This means you'll probably have to move very very far back from your subject.

- Kyle

Juni Zhao June 30th, 2007 10:32 PM

yeah, I knew about the zoom and large aperture. But i was hoping to find some miracle like an add-on lens or firmware upgrade kinda trick to enhance DOF....

Sam Ren June 30th, 2007 10:58 PM

35mm adapters

theres the brevis35, letus35, redrockmicro m2.. tons more just do some searches for 35mm adapters...

Cole McDonald July 1st, 2007 11:01 AM

approximate film equivs for DoF rendering:

1/3" chip ~ 8mm
2/3" chip ~ 16mm
1.3" chip ~ 35mm

No magic, physics. Iris and capture plane size.

Petri Kaipiainen July 2nd, 2007 02:52 AM

If you look at the equations governing DOF you'll notice that focal length plays the biggest role (it is squared in the equation). Bigger sensor/film counterplays this a bit as the enlargement is less with bigger picture and you can have larger circle of confusion. Example from film world: 50mm lens with 35mm film has less DOF than 50mm with 6x7 (would be a wide-angle with 6x7) because with 35mm film CofC must be smaller. 50mm with 35mm has more DOF than 105mm lens with 6x7 (same angle of view) because doubling the focal length quadruples the FL part of the equation and doubling the CofC can not compensate.

Safe to say that bigger sensor sizes have less DOF because longer lenses are used with those, larger sensor size in itself makes DOF less...

This is purely an optical thing, basically nothing can be done to it. Exept an optical trick of using a rotating tilt lens...

With steady subjects selective softening can be done in post.