DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Two new clips from Rome (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/97937-two-new-clips-rome.html)

Alessandro Nucci July 1st, 2007 10:53 AM

Two new clips from Rome

Hi, here can you find 2 new clips I've shot in Rome.

http://www.alexnucci.it/testhdv.html

The first is a low-light test. There is only the light over my friend's head. 0db all the time except two shots that maybe you'll find (but I would shoot them 0db if I had to do it again).

The second is some footage from the city centre... before sunset.

1280x720, H264, big files by the way... right-click and "save as..."

Ale

Steven Dempsey July 4th, 2007 09:05 AM

As usual Alessandro, love your camerawork, editing and the overall look you got on the street. Looks like you were using different presets at times. What was the main preset you were using? It looked very colorful and, at one point, there are some pretty bright oranges that looked good.

Alessandro Nucci July 4th, 2007 02:18 PM

Thanks Steven :-)

Main preset was AVG FILM found here, I like it much. Then I tried the "Bleach Bypass-like" preset, from this forum too. I created the black and white preset and the other with very light colours, very desaturate.

I actually believe that the footage is more "film-like" when it's not too saturate. For example at the end of the Roma clip, where there is the nervous zooming. There was also a NR1 on low on the Bleach Bypass preset, that I will remove on my next shooting. I prefer the noise to the ghosting. Actually footage with no noise at all would seem fake.

Alex

Luis Figueroa July 5th, 2007 05:50 PM

Any night shots?

Alessandro, terrific shots from Rome. Could you post some shots taken at night? I'm just curious to see how this camera handles nighttime shots in a city with passing cars, lights, etc.

Grazie mille.

Michel Tournier July 8th, 2007 08:31 AM

Hi Alessandro, great videowork! I just loved the music you used in the roma video, where did you get it?

Alessandro Nucci July 9th, 2007 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michel Tournier (Post 708727)
Hi Alessandro, great videowork! I just loved the music you used in the roma video, where did you get it?

It's "Vianne sets up shop" from the "Chocolate" movie soundtrack.

Ale

Chan Ee Jien July 10th, 2007 06:50 PM

Is this the bare Canon? I suppose it is, looks clean. You use the zoom to get the DOF effect?

Alessandro Nucci July 11th, 2007 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chan Ee Jien (Post 710072)
Is this the bare Canon? I suppose it is, looks clean. You use the zoom to get the DOF effect?

Yes to both question :-)

Alex

Chan Ee Jien July 11th, 2007 12:00 PM

Man, I have got to play more with the 20x zoom. I did some shots of pedestrians on the street at the long end of the zoom, but never got it to look as shallow to my liking. Other then that, the zoom is usually impractical for most of my shooting style.

I'm not sure what the ambulance at the end means. Busy and hectic life?

Is it easy (and safe?)to shoot around Rome? I was questioned several times by the traffic police, thankfully most people just ignore me.

What did you use to resize your footage? Looks really really clean :)

Alessandro Nucci July 11th, 2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chan Ee Jien (Post 710436)
I'm not sure what the ambulance at the end means. Busy and hectic life?

Is it easy (and safe?)to shoot around Rome? I was questioned several times by the traffic police, thankfully most people just ignore me.

What did you use to resize your footage? Looks really really clean :)

The ambulance means nothing as the rest of the footage... I put it at the end just because it's different from the rest.

I believe it is easy unless you put a tripod on the ground, this is what other professional cameramen told me. About the safety, I believe Rome is no different from London or New York or any other big city... it's safe to shoot in the city centre during the day, it's not safe to shoot in a suburb at 2 am alone. :-)

I captured and edited the HDV footage in Final Cut Pro, then output a 720p H264 via Quicktime conversion. For now I don't make 1080p file as the screen of my iMac is not big enough for them.

Alex

Kyle Prohaska July 14th, 2007 11:54 AM

I just wanted to comment on that beautiful shot of the arena you had. It was so good I used it for an FX shot just for fun. :)

Original
FX Shot

- Kyle

Trish Kerr July 14th, 2007 01:07 PM

Nice effects shot! What program did you create it in?

And - the tripod question = are there legal implications to using a tripod?

Trish

Alessandro Nucci July 14th, 2007 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Prohaska (Post 712071)
I just wanted to comment on that beautiful shot of the arena you had. It was so good I used it for an FX shot just for fun. :)
- Kyle

Well done, did you use motion tracking? It was hand held.

Alex

Alessandro Nucci July 14th, 2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trish Kerr (Post 712088)
And - the tripod question = are there legal implications to using a tripod?

Trish

I believe the problem is that if they see you with a tripod, they could think you are shooting a program for television or something professionally, so you need a permission to do that. But in the actual life, I don't think someone will complain about what you are doing.

Alex

Damon Roger July 20th, 2007 09:47 AM

Alessandro I really enjoed this clip. Inspiring!

May I ask What settings you chose for shutter speed, Iris and frame rate? Do you general use manual mode to fine tune?