Can cameras other than Canon be used to capture Standard Def 24f? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 1st, 2007, 12:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can cameras other than Canon be used to capture Standard Def 24f?

I shot a wedding last night with a videographer who was shooting with a Panasonic DVX. He wanted the footage to be in 24p Standard Def. I used my XH-A1 and shot in Standard Def 24f. I am now concerned that he won't be able to capture canon's funky 24f. Will there be a problem or will this work for him?
Jerry Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Only Canon Cameras will playback the 24f format of Canon.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Probably a dumb question but... Can a Canon GL2 be used to capture 24f? Or just the A1,G1, and H1?
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It's my understanding that ONLY the Canon HDV models will playback 24f. Sorry. You might have to loan your buddy your cam to capture the footage. Though I'm not certain how 24f and 24p play together. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

I suppose it's possible to DUB from 24f camera to a 24p camera? That might solve the compatibility problem?

I do know that Canon's 24P standard def (like I shoot with my XL2) gets along just fine with others on the timeline. Can't speak with personal knowledge about 24F SD.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Major Player

as mentioned, canon hdv 24f will only playback from a canon hdv camera. however, the xha1's 24f shot in SD is essentially 24p with your choice of 2:3 or 2:3:3:2 pulldown (option will only appear when you switch your camera to SD mode), and should play back from ANY deck, including sony, jvc, or panasonic. as long as you shoot in standard def, cross manufacturer compatibility shouldn't be an issue.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

BINGO that would be the answer. So in SD, it's really the same as their 24p technology... so it should play back just fine.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for the info... That makes things easier. It's good to know that the XH-A1 Standard Def settings will play back in any deck. I will also confirm this with the videographer who has my footage.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:03 PM   #8
Contributor

I know that Sony decks will play back Canon's 24f SD. I've shot quite a bit of SD, 24F for a friend with a DSR20 deck. Works fine.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders