NR1 compare to NR2!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Major Player

NR1 compare to NR2!!

Hi All,

Can someone please explain to me the difference between NR1 and NR2?
I don't understand as why I have to use NR1 when it gives me the trails and blurs during pan? when I can use NR2 with non of that problem?
What is the reason behind it?

Thanks
Matthew
Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Major Player

nr1 and nr2 use different, unrelated methods to reduce video noise. nr1 cycles through fields, and will significantly remove quite a bit of noise from your image while maintaining details, but will introduce a certain level of ghosting in moving objects. nr2 applies it's algorithm to frame units and will attack fine detail in moving objects. to me, nr1 set to low represents the best benefit-to-cost out of all the noise reduction settings. you will get a small level of ghosting, but you will lose a whole lot of noise introduced by the higher gain settings. the medium and high settings are less usable, and you hit a point of diminishing returns with them. to me, nr1 low is perfect for low light shooting of talking heads or other subjects that don't move around too much. nr2 doesn't create the level of ghosting nr1 does, but isn't nearly as good at removing high levels of gain noise. i would recommend playing with the settings, because you may find one setting will work better than another for any given shooting situation.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders