ASKING FOR TROUBLE: Double System Sound with XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Tourist

ASKING FOR TROUBLE: Double System Sound with XH A1

I'm prepping a short film which I'll be shooting with my new XH A1. I'm planning on shooting 24F.

Here's the problem: my camera setup has me 50-60 feet from the actors and I don't have access to wireless mics. One option is to run a couple of XLR cables in succession to connect the boom directly into my camera. But I'm guessing that won't yield the best audio quality.

The other option is to use a dedicated sound recorder near the actors and just use my XH A1 to capture video. Unfortunately, my only option for a recorder seems to be the Sony PD-150 which is good and bad. It has XLR inputs with phantom power (good), but I'm concerned about syncing the audio with my video. Since I'll be shooting video in 24f and the audio will be in 29.97... am I asking for trouble in post?

I'd love to hear some thoughts/advice.
Rene Brar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

50ft should be fine for the cable run from the boom. In the broadcast industry we routinely have 100ft cable runs from mic's.. Just be smart about your cable run (not next to power, etc.) and you should be ok. It would be better to get a single xlr cable rather than connecting a bunch of short ones though.
Brian Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Tourist

Brian,

Well that's great news. I think I may be able to scare up a single cable. Thanks for the input. And happy Canada Day.

-rene
Rene Brar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Contributor

If you have an electronics supply house you can buy cable the length you need and XLR connectors. If you don't know how to make the cable, probably somebody around does.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Major Player

I run 75' to 100' XLR with phantom from the A-1 all the time. No problems. (tripod, not battery)
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders