Anyone having this problem? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 5th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Thanks Bill that is what I thought play mode. It would worry me to do it in record mode.

The directions are in Japanese.
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #17
Regular Crew

The cleaning tape I have (TDK) has a hole where normally the overwrite-protection slider is, so this prevents you from using it in recording mode (unless you are going to cover it with celluloid tape...).
Winfried Dobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Cleaning may have solved the problem

The stuttering and sound loss does appear to be HDV dropout after all. After a cleaning, it seems ok now. It didn't take very long to get dirty heads - only about 3 hours from the previous cleaning. One interesting thing is that both affected tapes were recorded in rainy conditions. Could high humidity make it worse?

My remaining question is about one sound problem in where the sound on both channels became very loud for two seconds, past the point of distortion, then cut out for a second or two. This is what still worries me.

Thanks for all the good advice, everybody.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #19
Regular Crew

same prob

Hey guys, I have been experiencing the same prob as you all has anyone contacted Canon about this issue or is the cleaning tapes doing the job?
Brandon
And I agree that it is very annoying to have to deal with it since I am doing multi cam shoots and it jacks up the multi clip
Brandon Potthoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #20
Wrangler

Is the "drop out" or break in the data stream always at the same point on the tape, or does it vary? Can your capture the effected footage by going back over the section of the tape where the break happened
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Very happy with the improved video and audio after running a head cleaner. Today was the first shoot in three weeks with no drop frames and clear audio for the whole shoot.
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Same here

I just got my camera a week ago, and shot through my first tape. I had 3 drop-outs similar to that described by others. I would also be interested to see if anyone has contacted canon about this? Would be tough for them to determine though whether or not it is a tape issue, dirty heads, or camcorder issue.
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #23
Wrangler

Luke, did you make sure to use a cleaning tape before beginning to use the camera? Usually when people complain about dropouts in a brand new camera, that's the cause. The cure is to run a head cleaning tape, and is specifically advised in the user manual of Canon camcorders.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
Luke, did you make sure to use a cleaning tape before beginning to use the camera? Usually when people complain about dropouts in a brand new camera, that's the cause. The cure is to run a head cleaning tape, and is specifically advised in the user manual of Canon camcorders.
Huh? I never noticed that. Never had any tape drop outs though. (Knocking on wooden desk)

I do get occasional breaks on the laptop when I forget to stop recording there before stopping the tape recording. Mpegstreamclip fixes the resulting timecode problem but not the 15 frame patch of red.

Just ordered PP CS3. Hoping that OnLocation will help with that. Come to think of it, does anyone know of a setting in the A-1 that will help?
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #25
New Boot

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Definitely not record. Play mode only. Read the directions that come with the cleaning tape carefully.
Hi I am new to this forum and just bought the Canon HX A1 on June 29th and have had a high rate of glitches on Sony Mini DV tape recording in the SD mode both 4 by 3 and 19 by 9 SD I did shot for about 15 min in HD with a sony HD master grade tape and had no glitches. I have bought a Focus Fire store because I don't trust the camera now and Canon won't replace it the want me to send it out to repair. I think I will try using the Tape head cleaner as sugusted and see if this fixed the problem. I have been self employed as a free lance videographer for 21 years not and always used Sony and never had a problem expecialy with bran new stuff hope I did not make a $3500.00 mistake.

Any Ideas other that a tape head cleaner??
Tom Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #26
Contributor

When you get a new camera, first thing to do is use the head cleaning tape. Then, only use high quality tape. You didn't say which version of Sony miniDV tape you used before switching to the HD quality. The fact you had no problems with the better quality tape should tell you something about the cheaper stuff. You are not the first person I've read about who has had problems with the Sony miniDV tapes in an HDV camera.

I'd clean the heads and only use top quality tape. I used Sony DVCAM for years and had no problems at all, but with the XH A1 I switched to Panasonic's AMQ tapes. They're 8 bucks from our local dealer, cheaper at B&H, and lots of people are using them with absolutely no trouble at all. Sony's version of the same thing are quite a bit more expensive, as I'm sure you know.

If you clean the heads and use good tape and still have problems, then the camera is defective and would be covered under warranty. From your post, however, I'd bet on the tape and dirt on the heads.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
Pete, I will try that out and run a head cleaner through before my next use... I just got some Pana's DVM63PQ that I was going to run through it since others seemed to have some success with them and the price is right.. To be continued... :)
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #28
Regular Crew

One of the things that was suggested to me previously is to run a tape in record mode with the lense cap on all the way through. Then rewind and record normally. This apparently ensures continuous timecode. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I thought I'd throw it out here.
Michael Foo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders