External mic holder not usable? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 14th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Yes, I already ordered the SM5.
Winfried Dobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hope it works out for you.
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #18
Regular Crew

J-rod works great!

Well I took the advise of a couple of people on here and got 2 J-Rods. They work great! Only problem is the hot shoes aren't exactly "tight" and tend to loosen and the mike falls forward. So I had to remove them and use lock tight and now they are fine. Another advantage is with the extra shoe (I purchased the double J-Rod) now you can have a mic, audio, and light all on the camera.
Steve Porchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #19
New Boot

I just used the same mic I had on my Sony PD 150 and it works fine but there is a piece of rubber around the mic right where the mount clamps down on the mic, maybe you could get an old inner tube from a tire or just buy a new one and cut it up and make a ruber boot for your mic to go between the mic and the holder that should work as a good shock mount and stop the sound transportation from the camera to the mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfried Dobbe View Post
I recently got my XH-A1. I attached the Rode NTG-2 that I already had. Since the NTG-2 was too slim, I put some foam tape inside the mic holder. Now the mic is attached firmly, but during recording it picks up every touch on the camera and you can hear even the zoom motor.

I know you can buy the Rode SM3 shock mount, but then the shoe is not available anymore for a camera light.

Does anyone have good experience with the external mic holder and a shotgun mic?

Thanks in advance,

Winfried
Tom Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Well, the SM5 costs only 39 euro, so didn't take me long to decide. However it's going to take a few weeks before it arrives, so I might try a few of those tricks in the mean time.

Thanks.
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I'm using a AT897 and it's not picking up the zoom motor, but most definitely the sound of the tape that is recording. And also handling noises. I guess a shockmount wouldn't solve the microphone picking up the recording noises.
Emiel Labree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #22
Wrangler

Depends on how the noise is coupled to the mic. If through sound waives in air, the shock mount will not help much, but if mechanically through the body and mount it will help more.
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiel Labree View Post
I'm using a AT897 and it's not picking up the zoom motor, but most definitely the sound of the tape that is recording. And also handling noises. I guess a shockmount wouldn't solve the microphone picking up the recording noises.
Question for my own information: Is the "tape noise" the sound of the motor (or motors) that run the tape and the recording drum?
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I'm pretty sure the noise that was recorded reaches the external mic via the camera body, not via air waves. Otherwise the built-in mic should also record it to some extent (which is not the case) and touching the camera is hardly audible with my own ears.
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Petersen View Post
Question for my own information: Is the "tape noise" the sound of the motor (or motors) that run the tape and the recording drum?
Yes, that is correct. There is an earlier post in this forum where more owners of the A1 address this issue with the camera. I also own a FX1 and that one is pretty quiet. A German review mentions the recording noise as a negative point for the camera.
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I noticed something peculiar. When playing a .M2T file in Windows Media Player 11 there's a high pitched sound. But when the same file is played in Vegas 7.0c there is only normal noise. The high tones are gone.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Porchet View Post
Well I took the advise of a couple of people on here and got 2 J-Rods. They work great! Only problem is the hot shoes aren't exactly "tight" and tend to loosen and the mike falls forward. So I had to remove them and use lock tight and now they are fine. Another advantage is with the extra shoe (I purchased the double J-Rod) now you can have a mic, audio, and light all on the camera.
I have one myself and it really isolates camera vibrations/sounds from the mic. Never had the loose hot shoe problem luckily. It really does come in handy... so it lives on my camera.
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Thanks for the kind words about The J-Rod guys ! I am glad it is working so well for you.
I reached out to Steve and I think that is an isolated incident with the loose shoe. I will always offer to fix or replace any problems though !
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders