DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Have You Seen this Problem Before? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/98599-have-you-seen-problem-before.html)

David Hurst July 10th, 2007 07:51 AM

Have You Seen this Problem Before?

This XH-A1 is only three months old (it's one of two that I bought at the same time). While my other A1 is working great, this one has a problem. On all of the footage I've shot with it (maybe five events or so), I get this wierd pixelated horizontal line appearing sporadically, every few minutes or so, for only a few seconds at a time. Here is a short clip with what I'm talking about:

http://www.lifetimeproductions.net/XH-A1_Problem.wmv

Any idea what this is? It seems like it might be a dirty head, but being so new, I can't imagine it would have shipped from the factory with dirty heads. Canon has provided a shipping label for me to send it in for service, and it will be going out today. But it is so strange, that I'm wondering if any of you might have seen this before, or might know what the problem is.

Thanks,
Dave

Jim Miller July 10th, 2007 08:25 AM

Very odd. I doubt its the head. A dirty head usually results in a dropout. With HDV's GOP structure that means 15 frames of video. All your frames seem to be there, just with an occaisional white zap noise.

Definately a job for the Canon repairman - good luck

Robert Petersen July 10th, 2007 04:54 PM

Please let everyone know what Canon service had to do. - Thanks

Billy Griffin July 10th, 2007 05:19 PM

Wow, that is obviously a problem. By any chance are you using a wireless mic with the camera? Just a shot in the dark, but I wonder if it could be some type of RF interference?

David Hurst July 10th, 2007 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Griffin (Post 710046)
Wow, that is obviously a problem. By any chance are you using a wireless mic with the camera? Just a shot in the dark, but I wonder if it could be some type of RF interference?

Interesting thought, but I don't think that's it. I do use a wireless receiver on that camera on occasion, but not always. The dance recital in this footage, for example, did not have the wireless.

Dave

David Hurst July 10th, 2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Petersen (Post 710036)
Please let everyone know what Canon service had to do. - Thanks

Will do. I didn't have time to package it today, so it will have to go out tomorrow.

Dave

Doug Davis July 10th, 2007 11:14 PM

Possibly a nextel walkie interference? It seems to be more of a data error... The pace seems to be consistant with something like a cell data signal....

That's really strange though... I am at a loss for ideas on that one...

Petri Kaipiainen July 11th, 2007 12:15 AM

Did somebody have their cell phone on near the camera? Phones communicate with the base stations even when they are not recieving calls or when they are in silent mode. It it THE rule to have all radio transmitters OFF near video cameras and mic cables.

David Hurst July 11th, 2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen (Post 710178)
Did somebody have their cell phone on near the camera? Phones communicate with the base stations even when they are not recieving calls or when they are in silent mode. It it THE rule to have all radio transmitters OFF near video cameras and mic cables.

This camera doesn't get used as much as my other one, as I use it for 2-camera shoots only (i.e. wedding ceremonies, dance recitals). My other A1 gets much more use. So each time this camera is in use, my other A1 is also there, and it never has the problem. It is always this camera, and this problem has presented itself on footage from several events.

It's a mystery, that's for certain.

I have this nagging feeling that Canon will look at it, not find anything wrong with it, and send it back.

Dave