Dead A1 - Any way to get tape out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 10th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dead A1 - Any way to get tape out?

Was on a two week off site gig with my 2 XH A1s (both a month old) and on the last day of the gig, I drop one from about 3 feet. Yea; I know stupid.

It shows no physical damage, but will not power on now. Problem is I have a tape in it I need. Factory service just said send it in, there is no way to get the tape out. Bummer. Anyone know any tricks to extract a tape before I box it up?

Also I noticed the new east cost repair center is flushing ny rather than NJ where I used to send my XL1's. Dont know if this is the repair center for A1s or if they changed the repair center for Xl line as well..

Curt
Curt Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Major Player

curt,

i empathize with your situation. that truly sucks. a few years back my computer literally died on me, the night before a huge project was due. do you know what it's like being teleconferenced in and telling people your computer died? ;)

in any case, have you tried AC power?

there needs to be some power for the tape mechanisms to eject the tape. a forced manual eject would probably destroy your tape in the chamber anyway. unless this gig is worth twice the price of the camera AND you have a couple of nice electronics screwdrivers handy, i'd suggest leaving it alone and sending everything in together for repairs.

i haven't heard about the flushing repair center. i got mine back from jersey a few weeks ago. not sure if it makes a difference, but are you in the xl/xh owner's club?

i hope it works out.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yea, Im in the owners club. I questioned the cs rep about the change to Flushing rather than NJ and he said it was a recent change.

Ive boxed it up and shipped it out.

Curt
Curt Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

For the curious about the flushing ny vs nj service center; I just called them and they told me that flushing is the overflow repair center. Oddly, they said it is likely my cam will be received in flushing, but sent to NJ for repair. Doesnt make sense to me, but those are the instructions I was given.

Curt
Curt Wrigley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders