Backpack for A1+15" MBP+DSLR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 11th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Backpack for A1+15" MBP+DSLR

Hey everyone. Sorry to post another "A1 bag" thread, but I did a search and didn't find what I need. I'm looking for a bag that may not even exist, but I was hoping somebody might know of one.

What I'm looking for is a backpack that is:
Carry-on (International flight) acceptable size
Holds A1+15" MBP+DSLR (1 lens)+accessories (charger, tapes etc.)

If such a bag doesn't exist, then at least one that holds the A1+MBP with sufficient protection for light traveling. I can get a hip pouch or something like that for the DSLR.

The thing is, I live in Japan and the selection of brands and models here is pretty limited, and the bags in shops are usually sealed so I can't get a good look inside. I can have anything imported, but its hard to get a feel for what is or isn't a good bag just from a small picture on B&H, Amazon etc. so I'm looking for actual owners to report.

Thanks!
Jason Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #2
Major Player

jason,

portabrace's bk1 is technically their only "carry-on safe" backpack. it's well-padded and i use one to transport the xha1, 14" laptop, and my 350d w/ a 17-85mm zoom. it's a little tricky getting it all in there, but, after several trips abroad and no broken gear, i've gotten along fine with it.

here's a quick snap from the hv20 (little light -- my apologies):
http://www.downwiththefuture.com/pictures/xha1_bk1.jpg

the bag came with a couple of dividers, but they wouldn't work in this configuration so i pulled them out. i have the dslr disassembled, and the camera body and lens in bubble wrap. i also have a couple of filters in their pouches in between the xha1 mic and xha1 lens to protect the mic from any pressure from the 35mm lens on the other side. laptop is in the bag's front pouch (not showing). there are enough roomy pockets for batteries, cables, chargers, lens wipes, etc., and a pouch on the side for a small tripod/monopod (i would have preferred two extra pockets here instead).

it's not a do-all bag, meaning you can't trek around with it and have your camera and xha1 always at the ready, but it does the trick for moving the gear around.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Major Player

get the Crumpler zoomiverse. Fit all the things you said and more. Looks like a bag pack too. You can take out the mesh housing with all your gears inside and put it away and use it just like a normal backpack.

life time warranty, water proof, funky looking

Last edited by David Chia; July 12th, 2007 at 02:32 PM.
David Chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Cho View Post
jason,

portabrace's bk1 is technically their only "carry-on safe" backpack. it's well-padded and i use one to transport the xha1, 14" laptop, and my 350d w/ a 17-85mm zoom. it's a little tricky getting it all in there, but, after several trips abroad and no broken gear, i've gotten along fine with it.
Hey thanks Henry, that seems to be the closest match for my needs so far. I just need to find out if the newer revision BK-1N will hold a 15" MBP which is 14.1" x 9.6" x 1.0" (35.7cm x 24.3cm x 2.59cm), since Porta Brace doesn't give the specs of the notebook pouch. Also, even though the Porta Brace website lists the BK-1N as compatible with the XH-A1, it looks like technically the A1 isn't supposed to fit as it's 6.4" tall (shortest dimension) while the bag is only 5" deep (shortest dimension), but it seems it can be squeezed in there...
Jason Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #5
Major Player

jason, you're exactly right. the xh-a1 is a tight squeeze in the bag. the hood and external mic mount clear the interior depth of the main chamber just a bit, but the padding in the back and up front make for a good, working fit. the main problem for you might be the laptop, as you mentioned. the bulky 15.4" dells will probably not fit, but something slimmer might.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders