DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HELP! Aperture Ring not working! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/98956-help-aperture-ring-not-working.html)

David W. Lewis July 14th, 2007 06:42 PM

HELP! Aperture Ring not working!

Unpacked my XH-A today for a shoot, and the aperture ring would no longer function. I reversed the direction under the custom function menu, and spinning the ring caused the f-stop to jog between 2.0 and 2.2 - always finishing at 2.0. Is this a software or hardware issue? Should I reset the camera? Unfortunately, Canon support is not open on the weekend.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill Pryor July 14th, 2007 08:09 PM

You're not on auto iris are you?

Chris Hurd July 14th, 2007 08:49 PM

Not enough information in the original post... there is no functionality to the iris ring when shooting in A, Tv, Spotlight, Night Shot or Green Box recording modes.

Henry Cho July 15th, 2007 12:18 PM

if you still can't get your iris ring working in full manual mode, the camera will need to be serviced. i had this issue recently, where both the iris and shutter speed dial stopped working. display showed the lens locked at f1.0 (??) and a shutter speed of 1/5000 (or something insane like that). service claimed a connection to the lens was bad and the camera had to be sent to the factory. got the fixed camera back in about 7 business days.

Matthew Nayman July 15th, 2007 02:13 PM

David, how far are you zoomed in?

David W. Lewis July 15th, 2007 03:22 PM

Thanks to Everyone

This problem appears only, of course, in full manual and aperture priority modes.

Matthew, the locked f-stop varies with the focus length - from 2.0 to 2.4, and is not adjustable at any zoom.

Bill, by 'auto-iris', do you mean one of the recording modes Chris listed? I can't find a reference to any auto-iris menu option in the manual.

Henry, I suspect my camera will also need service. I tried both a software and hardware reset of the camera, with no effect.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Bill Pryor July 15th, 2007 04:57 PM

Yeah, I should have said auto modes. Sounds like you may have a problem if it does it in manual.

Dino Leone July 16th, 2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Lewis (Post 712451)
This problem appears only, of course, in full manual and aperture priority modes.

Matthew, the locked f-stop varies with the focus length - from 2.0 to 2.4, and is not adjustable at any zoom.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

David, several people on this forum, including myself, have had this very same issue. Mine had it when it was brand new, after a couple of days. Send it back, you should get a new camera.

Best,
Dino

David W. Lewis August 2nd, 2007 01:15 PM

Back from factory service!!

My XH-A was received by Canon Factory Service (Irvine) on the 27th, I had it back in my hands on the 31st. Everything seems to be in order, and their prompt repair means I don't have to find a loaner camera for my wedding this weekend. Yay!

Thanks again to everyone for their input.