DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Just Ordered My A1... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/99134-just-ordered-my-a1.html)

Tim Miller July 17th, 2007 10:44 AM

Just Ordered My A1...

...about 3 minutes ago. Should be here tomorrow.

I am a long time DVX100 user and finally took the plunge into HD. it feels good!

The next step is to figure out what I am going to do about monitoring. For now I will try and focus using the LCD and the built in B/W switch, magnification, etc. And I will continue to use my trusty old JVC TM910SU monitor for framing.

Lloyd Choi July 17th, 2007 11:48 AM

Congrats man, you'll LOVE the camera, I promise.

I used the DVX for 3 years until buying my A1 a couple weeks ago. Best bang for the buck, and incredible images. Once you open the camera, learn how to upload the custom presets. The out-of-box image you get is bland, but after the VIVIDRGB preset, it shines.

In terms of focusing, it's not as bad as you think. I do a lot of run and gun shooting and I've been practicing with the focusing on the LCD. I can get into focus majority of the time using peaking alone. But magn helps of course.

Have fun :)

Bill Pryor July 17th, 2007 12:26 PM

I don't use the LCD much when shooting, but I did find that it is sharp enough so you can use it for focusing if you're careful.

First thing to do when you get your camera is turn off all the auto stuff. And if you shoot 24F, make sure you change the shutter to 1/48. It wants to default to 1/24. And, speaking of focusing, go into the custom functionsettings and change the focus ring from fast to slow--otherwise it'll drive you nuts.

Larry Kamerman July 17th, 2007 03:33 PM

Tim-
Congratulations. You're gonna love it.
For focusing I've found - as you said - using the peaking and programming one of the custom keys for b&w works well, especially when combined with the Hoodman 300 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...agnifier.html), which gives you magnification as well.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Nathan Quattrini July 18th, 2007 03:49 PM

quick question....what does B+W do for focusing?

Daniel Raebiger July 18th, 2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini (Post 713951)

it's supposed to give a better chance of evaluating the scene... for my eye it doesnt make any difference

Damon Roger July 18th, 2007 04:12 PM

Hey Tim,

I have had mine for a couple of weeks now and this camera rocks! Using the Vivid RGB and AVE Film settings bring out the some wonderful color and contrasts. Happy shooting!

Larry Kamerman July 18th, 2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Just a matter of personal preference. I find I'm less distracted by the colors and can focus on the framing and focusing, while keeping an eye on contrast.

Tim Miller July 18th, 2007 07:49 PM

I received my shipment this morning. Very cool.

I shot a little footage around the house - practicing focusing, etc. The peak and magnification functions really do help. And the image looks really nice on my Dell 24" monitor.

Some questions:
1. How do you get the presets to the memory card? Do I need a card reader/writer? Or will the card become available when I connect the cam to the pc?

2. Am I asking for trouble if I use my old JVC SD monitor for framing and use the peak, mag and B/W functions to focus? I will eventually get an HD monitor but not possible right now.

3. I got a little garbage in some of my shots today. It seems like a good idea to clean the heads just in case anything happened during packaging, etc. Any magic formula for cleaning the heads on this thing? Or can I use my simple little head cleaning cartridge I use on my DVX?

Henrik Reach July 19th, 2007 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Miller (Post 714023)
Some questions:
1. How do you get the presets to the memory card? Do I need a card reader/writer? Or will the card become available when I connect the cam to the pc?

You need a card-reader of some sort yes, I used my Nikon D80.. :p I have had no luck in getting the computer to see the memorycard while in the Canon, so I'm leaning towards an external reader. Those are pretty cheap though, I guess I'll need one.

Damon Roger July 19th, 2007 10:42 AM

Its also not a bad idea to enter the settings in yourself. Its a great way to get comfortable with the menus...

Henry Cho July 19th, 2007 11:05 AM

Quote:

peaking really pops in b&w. and the nice thing about this function on the xha1 is you can flip back and forth between color and b&w/peaking with the single push of a button.