How steep is the learning curve? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #1
New Boot

How steep is the learning curve?

If anyone has read my previous posts, they realize I am trying to figure out which camera is right for me. If I go HD I will most likely get the XH-A1. If I go SD I will probably either get the DVX100B or the XL-2. One problem I have with HD, is that it seems very complicated, especially for someone like me who is more of a director/editor. Is this camera really complicated? Does it require a lot of learning to get a good picture?
Mark Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davies View Post
If anyone has read my previous posts, they realize I am trying to figure out which camera is right for me. If I go HD I will most likely get the XH-A1. If I go SD I will probably either get the DVX100B or the XL-2. One problem I have with HD, is that it seems very complicated, especially for someone like me who is more of a director/editor. Is this camera really complicated? Does it require a lot of learning to get a good picture?

The camera is absolutely no more difficult to work than a good SD camera. All the same customizations and settings are there. The learning curve, in my opinion, is not very steep provided you are willing to do some reading and a little research.

What *is* more difficult is editing HD on the timeline of whatever NLE software you'll be using. I say difficult only in that the computer processong requirements to accomplish this are pretty tough.

With that said, run - don't walk - to HD via the A1. I nearly purchased the Panny 100B about a 9 months ago and went with the Sony HDR-FX1 instead and don't regret it one bit. HD quality is unbelievable and the down convert to SD from a HD source is superior. You'll also be shooting in a native 16:9 which is where everything is going.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

VASST training video

Mark,
I purchased the VASST training video on the Canon XH-A1. It's 145 minutes and Spot goes through every feature of the camera. After viewing the DVD and following along with the camera the features became easier to understand.
I got a good price on eBay - $50 with shipping.

Inside the Canon XH-A1

Jim
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #4
Major Player

i agree with jon. as straight cameras, learning curves for the xl2 and dvx100b are probably the same, if not higher, than that of the xha1. i used the xl line of cameras for a long time, and moving to the xha1 was not difficult. hdv vs sd editing might be more of a concern -- a fast computer will help, and investing in something like cineform will make those long nights in front of the NLE much more tolerable. in any case, buying new, dollar for dollar, against those cameras (and very fine cameras they are), the xha1 wins easily IMHO.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #5
Major Player

The vasst video worked well for me too. Clears all doubt and makes it easy when you have someone there to show you what this or that can do.

I hate reading, video instructions are so much easy. I hope in future all camera companys will sell thier camera with a visual instruction then a book. They can zip the book up on the dvd as an ebook too. It helps to save some trees...
David Chia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders