A1/g1 Seminar At Birns at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 17th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #1
Major Player

A1/g1 Seminar At Birns

Hey everyone! If you are in L.A.,our next Canon seminar is set for Saturday, August 11th at 9am here at Birns & Sawyer. Canon will be here going over the cameras, menus,etc.and we'll also cover accessories. Validated parking here in the ArcLight Center and yes, we feed you....for only $30. You can sign up on the web site: www.birnsandsawyer.com with a credit card or call us @323-466-8211 and make a reservation.....so we know how much food to get. If time allows, we'll try to cover a little on the HV20.

See ya here,

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer
6381 DeLongpre Ave
Hollywood, CA 90028
323-466-8211
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Just some feedback from one potential customer. It have real difficulty that a retailer will attempt to charge for a thing like this.

I just went to the exact same thing with a Canon rep from the corporate office going over the menus and everything else. It was at a major LA store and it was an informational seminar put on so that curent owners could get a general overview and also potential customers like me could get a better feel for the camera. It was free, as it should be.

There is a difference between a true training seminar (which I have paid for) and what you are describing here. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are planning on offering, and if so, then my comments are not on target.

But if it is just as you have described and what I have been to for free, it just seems like paying to get a basic pitch about a product. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Kelly Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Olsen View Post
Just some feedback from one potential customer. It have real difficulty that a retailer will attempt to charge for a thing like this.

I just went to the exact same thing with a Canon rep from the corporate office going over the menus and everything else. It was at a major LA store and it was an informational seminar put on so that curent owners could get a general overview and also potential customers like me could get a better feel for the camera. It was free, as it should be.

There is a difference between a true training seminar (which I have paid for) and what you are describing here. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are planning on offering, and if so, then my comments are not on target.

But if it is just as you have described and what I have been to for free, it just seems like paying to get a basic pitch about a product. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Fair question....Canon does do 2 hour small and usually free seminars with other dealers, groups (like IFP,Filmmakers Alliance,etc). They tend to be a general overview of the features in the camera(s) and seemed to be designed more for potential 1st time buyers.
We and Canon together have been doing our "Seminar for Emerging Filmmakers" with since 1999. Our clientel, was and is, the working pro in Hollywood that wanted to know more about the new technology that has taken over the business during the last 8 years. The seminar has been more in depth, usually with much more two-way discussions, than Canon's typical 2 hour presentation. Ours has grown to include emerging filmmakers because of the incredible surge of new clients and established working people of "Hollywood"(actors,directors,producers) that needed some in-depth guidance with this new technology. We have been charging a fee ($30) mainly to cover the food and drink (which usually does not) not to mention the employees. We often were told that we didn't charge enough but, as a company, we have always felt this was much more of a service to the community than anything else.

Jim Martin
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Major Player

Okay, So Kelly met me behind the building.....needless to say, she left me crumpled and bloody.....but as she walked away, I said...."We're still havin' the seminar!!.....she turned and smiled.

Yes, we still have room

Jim Martin
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If someone goes... could you please ask Canon if/when there will be a firmware update!! Geez, how long does it take? Are we ever going to see one?
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #6
Major Player

I'll assume you are asking about an upgrade on the A1/G1?...or the H1?

Jim Martin
Old July 28th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
I'll assume you are asking about an upgrade on the A1/G1?...or the H1?

Jim Martin
Yes, sir. The XHA1. Do you know of a scheduled or upcoming firware update?
Old July 28th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I would also be glad to know when there will be a firmware update. also what tapes does Canon recommend dry lub or wet lub.
Much apreciated.
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Okay, So Kelly met me behind the building.....needless to say, she left me crumpled and bloody.....but as she walked away, I said...."We're still havin' the seminar!!.....she turned and smiled.
If the Kelly who left you "crumpled and bloody" was a "She" you'll never get a conviction of me because this Kelly (despite the name) is a 6 feet 4 inch, 53-year-old man.

I rest my case, your Honor.

As far as the seminar (which I will attend since you have stuck to your guns, despite your beating by my imposter) I'd also like to get to the bottom of the Wet vs. Dry issue from Canon for the following reasons.

As I mentioned in another thread, and above, I attended a Canon one hour seminar on the A1 at another store in LA.

The Canon rep who works out of the Irvine Canon Corporate office, made a specific point that Panasonic tapes should never be used in the A1 because they have a diferent type of lube that is not compatible with the A1 heads and that Sony tapes should be used because the Sony tapes have a lube which the Canon was designed for.

He went on to say that the single biggest problem seen by the official Canon service department was clogged heads and that the single biggest reason for the clogged heads was the use of Panansonic tapes.

I do not recall the gentleman's name (but I am going to go back to the store to buy the camera and try to find out the name of the rep who put on the seminar) but he was from Canon and does have an office in Irvine next to or in the same office as the service department.

He was VERY clear on this issue and cautioned all to NOT use Panasonic tapes or pay the price of a damaged camera.

A lot of people use the Panny tapes and seem to do fine, (for now) and others use the Sony. Also, some report that they have a lot of drop outs and after switching brands the problem goes away.

So, if there could be confirmation of this information, or have it refuted, it would be very helpful.

The "real" Kelly
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #10
Major Player

I swear it was a girl....really
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Olsen View Post
If the Kelly who left you "crumpled and bloody" was a "She" you'll never get a conviction of me because this Kelly (despite the name) is a 6 feet 4 inch, 53-year-old man.

I rest my case, your Honor.

As far as the seminar (which I will attend since you have stuck to your guns, despite your beating by my imposter) I'd also like to get to the bottom of the Wet vs. Dry issue from Canon for the following reasons.

As I mentioned in another thread, and above, I attended a Canon one hour seminar on the A1 at another store in LA.

The Canon rep who works out of the Irvine Canon Corporate office, made a specific point that Panasonic tapes should never be used in the A1 because they have a diferent type of lube that is not compatible with the A1 heads and that Sony tapes should be used because the Sony tapes have a lube which the Canon was designed for.

He went on to say that the single biggest problem seen by the official Canon service department was clogged heads and that the single biggest reason for the clogged heads was the use of Panansonic tapes.

I do not recall the gentleman's name (but I am going to go back to the store to buy the camera and try to find out the name of the rep who put on the seminar) but he was from Canon and does have an office in Irvine next to or in the same office as the service department.

He was VERY clear on this issue and cautioned all to NOT use Panasonic tapes or pay the price of a damaged camera.

A lot of people use the Panny tapes and seem to do fine, (for now) and others use the Sony. Also, some report that they have a lot of drop outs and after switching brands the problem goes away.

So, if there could be confirmation of this information, or have it refuted, it would be very helpful.

The "real" Kelly
Thanks for the info. I forwarded an email to my local Canon rep for further clarification. I use Panny tapes (both the regular and pro versions) for quite some time and Fuji before that (the multicolour ones) with no dropouts. But there was a problem on my last tape though.

What are the symptoms of a clogged head?
Chan Ee Jien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #12
New Boot

Huh?...What am I missing here!

I am serious about purchasing several XH A1's. I am currently an owner of 3 GL2's which have served me well. I am considering purchasing A1 cameras (probably 3) from one of the DVInfo sponsors here despite the fact that I live in Canada.

However, I have serious reservations about this DVInfo sponsor promoting this type of "pay for info" promotion. For crying out loud, sell the cameras and help your customers take advantage of the opportunity to learn from your experience, your insights, and your access to the people who sell and support the product.

I should mention, I will be in the area at this time but have no intention of paying to attend this event.

Like Kelly, am I missing something here? The logical question seems to be, who stands to profit at who's expense.
Ken Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #13
Contributor

Sheesh, it's only 30 bucks. You can spend that much for lunch in L.A.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
I swear it was a girl....really
Well, I have been told that I do look good in heels, but I'm still a guy.
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #15
New Boot

Bill,
I apologize if I seem to be off base to you on this. Perhaps I have been overwhelmed by too much spam over the last few days via email. In any event, it is my fervent belief that it is not the intention of this message board to solicit business and/or income for profit for its contributors. That is, I believe, best left to the sponsor's/advertiser's sections or the classified section of this web address. Don't get me wrong, I am, and will always be, a supporter of those sponsors that contribute to making this wonderful site possible. The issue I have is related to a message that is clearly a business solicitation...pure and simple...and which has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of lunch in LA.
Ken Pike is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders