What mic fits in the XH-A1 slot? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 21st, 2007, 05:28 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I am using AT-835ST stereo shotgun mic with XH-A1. The camera mount doesn't work with it, so I used Rhode mount.
In fact, I got rid of the on-camera mic mount - this way the camera fits better inside a case.
By the way, AT-835ST produces very nice sound, plus there's an option of "stereo".
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM   #17
New Boot

Ok, I think I'll spare the extra cash and get the NTG2 RODE...ALthough I have one last question. It's a really long mic, won't it get in the way of the camera or something? It just seems that putting a 10 inch mic on the camera would be awkward (Assume that most of my filming would be with the NTG2 on the A1 and not used as a boom). Is it awkward?

Last edited by Mark Davies; July 23rd, 2007 at 07:48 PM.
Mark Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:10 PM   #18
New Boot

I'm trying to order this tonight, so if anyone could provide me an answer I'd really appreciate it.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:59 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have and use the Rode NTG-2 putting it on the A1 with a J-Rod and a shock mount. The J-Rod fits the A1 mount without wrapping the mic with foam, tape, etc. Very clean.

See here http://www.thej-rod.com/

No problem keeping the mic out of the shot.
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:26 PM   #20
New Boot

WIthout using the J-Rod, is it ok?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:32 PM   #21
Regular Crew

The NTG-2 diameter is slightly smaller that the A1 mount so you'll have to put rubber bands and or tape on the mic to build it up enough for it to fit snugly in the A1 mount
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearl Golden View Post
I have and use the Rode NTG-2 putting it on the A1 with a J-Rod and a shock mount. The J-Rod fits the A1 mount without wrapping the mic with foam, tape, etc. Very clean.

See here http://www.thej-rod.com/

No problem keeping the mic out of the shot.
How does the Rode attach to the J-Rod?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #23
Major Player

I have an A1 and NTG-2. I took off the on-camera mount (two screws) and use the Rode shock mount. You can get it in a kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html

Works great!
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #24
Contributor

You might look at a short shotgun, like this one
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Shotgun.html

It's more designed for camera mounting. I use an old Sony short shotgun on my XH A1. It's about the same length as this Audio Technica. I know two different soundmen who swear by AT, the more expensive ones. However, for grabbing ambient sfx from the camera, a mic like this might be perfect.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
You might look at a short shotgun, like this one
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Shotgun.html

It's more designed for camera mounting. I use an old Sony short shotgun on my XH A1. It's about the same length as this Audio Technica. I know two different soundmen who swear by AT, the more expensive ones. However, for grabbing ambient sfx from the camera, a mic like this might be perfect.
By chance, here is a press release that gives a description of this exact microphone:
http://www.videomaker.com/video-news...rt-shotgun-mic

It seems the mic is new from Audio Technica since April. Also, the mic includes an adapter bushing to allow it to fit the camera mic holder on "popular cameras" -- so I imagine it will fit the XH-A1 -- which answers the question of how to get a mic to fit into the "oversize" holder.

I know from experience that a slightly too long mic on the camera is a real bothersome problem. I think 11" is too long and you won't like it after a short while. I have the AT4093a which is 9", and I wouldn't go any longer.

For what you want, I think this new mic might be perfect. I have a dozen or so AT mics and in general the quality of the sound is equivalent to more expensive mics. I have found that the new mics AT has come out with the past year for special uses (such at the mic above) have been excellent choices for what they are designed for, usually better than the competition.

(No, I don't work for or have any interest in Audio-Technica.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #26
Contributor

AT has always given you a pretty good mic for the money. I like their mid-range shotguns better than the Sennheiser equivalents. In the economical wireless lav department, however, I think the Sennheiser G2 is the best deal at 500 bucks.

The old shotgun I stuck on my XH A1 is about 7". I wouldn't want an 11 inch one because it would cause problems in the camera bag, and most likely in wide angle shots, unless it was elevated. All most people are going to do with a camera-mounted mic is ambient effects, so it doesn't have to be a hugely expensive one.

On the other hand, if you have one good enough for interviews, it's simple to take it off the camera, attach a longer cable, stick it on a boom, and thereyago. I've done that more than once when I didn't know I was going to shoot an interview and wasn't really prepared.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #27
Major Player

does anyone know if this AT875 is available in europe and if so where i can get it?

I need something good soon.

I have the rode videomic but realise it wouldn't be truly taking advantage of the A1 capabilities.

in the meantime should i send the videomic to channel 1 via xlr adapter or can i go straight into the 3.5mm jack and send this to the left, leaving the right free for another xlr input if required?

thanks,
ger
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel View Post
How does the Rode attach to the J-Rod?
HI Stephen,

For any shotgun mic you would need a rubber band shock mount of some kind. This will greatly reduce the handling noise, and zoom and transport noise. I like the Azden SMH-1 . The J-Rod will fit the camera mic mount snugly and allow you to mount 2 "shoe" mount accessories like a shock mount and a radio receiver.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #29
New Boot

New to the XLR mic; went with the Azden SGM-2X. Wrapped a small piece of cardboard around the mic. Cardboard was cut to size of the A1's mic holder and black marker used to color. I have since removed my mic holder and am now using the included mic holder for the 2X.
R.J. Esko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Hey guys, I'm using the Rode NTG-2 with my XH-A1 and love it. I took the advice of another on this board and bought 3 #15 size rubber O-rings. They fit perfectly between the gaps of the stock shock mount. Great $1.50 suggestion.

Good luck!
Matt OBrien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders