What mic fits in the XH-A1 slot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 19th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #1
New Boot

What mic fits in the XH-A1 slot?

When purchasing the XH-A1 which I'm going to do most likely soon, what mic fits in the slot? The XL-A1 has the same kinda slot but there is a mic that comes with it. For the slot on the XH-A1, what mic would fit in there? I've been recommended a couple of mics but I want one that specifically is made for the Canon so it can fit in that slot that is on the side of the camera. I'm assuming it's the same mic for the XL-A1 and XL-2 because the slots look similar and so does the mic...Any help would be appreciated.
Mark Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Canon mic

I wouldn't know which mic really fits into it. But think for a moment... what is the most important, a very average mic that really fits, or an excellent mic, that delivers a superb sound?

Same with Sony cam's: the in-house mics are not really where you've been waiting for.

For instance, a Rode NTG 1/2 works fine. Others can be Sennheiser K6/ME66 ME67 or Audio Technica. Info enough on DVInfo regarding this subject.

With about 22mm's versus 25mm of the Canon support they don't exactly fit, but there are solutions to solve this. I used a thin strap tape, as used to keep cables together, and no hum, as some seem to have with other fits.
Dirk Bouwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #3
New Boot

That's true. I'm just mainly looking for a fairly cheap mic to attach to the camera...and hoping I could find one that fit into the slot.
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #4
New Boot

Mark,

I believe the issue is neither physical or electrical, but rather one of acoustics.

The XH-A1 external microphone holder is specified up to 25mm diameter; the vast majority of microphones designed for ENG and similar are less. It is easy to find a solution to fit a small diameter microphone using things like O rings, pipe insulation sleeves, ... Note the length can be an issue if you look at really long shotguns (on the order of 14 inches and above, depending on the space left to clamp the microphone and the wind protection you use).

Electrically, you have the choice of mono or stereo, with a 3.5mm plug or an XLR (balanced) connection, with or without 48V phantom power. This covers pretty much everything but the most exotic setups.

The issue I (and many others) have noted is one of acoustics: external microphones have a tendency to pickup parasite sounds when you operate the camera or use the zoom. Some materials to fit small diameter microphones have better damping characteristics than others, but I found none that is totally satisfactory. The only thing reported to work is to mount an external support on the hot-shoe or the microphone holder (something like this).
Frederic Gittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #5
New Boot

Would the Rode Video-Mic work with the XH-A1?
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Wrangler

Yes the Rode Videomic works with the XH A1. Plug it into the mic input or get an adapter to use it with the XLR inputs.
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I've been using the Rycote camera clamp adapter. It comes in different sizes to accommodate different diameter mics. Works great and eliminates any handling or camera noise.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tie_Mount.html
Michael Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Canon mic

I wouldn't ever advise the Rode Videomic on the A1: it's not a real XLR/balanced mic.

Instead, use the Rode NTG1 or 2: impossible to find a better mic for this money. Even the built quality is magnificent !!!

Rode has the SM3/5 for reducing handling and motor noise.

But, as already indicated, some experimenting with cable straps, o-rings of soft foam is already doing miracles.

Dirk
Old July 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Bouwen View Post
I wouldn't ever advise the Rode Videomic on the A1: it's not a real XLR/balanced mic.

Instead, use the Rode NTG1 or 2: impossible to find a better mic for this money. Even the built quality is magnificent !!!

Rode has the SM3/5 for reducing handling and motor noise.

But, as already indicated, some experimenting with cable straps, o-rings of soft foam is already doing miracles.

Dirk
Well, I don't want to spend the extra 100 on that mic...What do you mean it's not a real balanced mic?
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #10
Major Player

the cable from the rode videomic is unbalanced. longer unbalanced cable runs are prone to interference, which means you probably shouldn't boom it. this shouldn't be a concern as the rode is primarily an on-camera shotgun and sits in the camera shoe (but doesn't go in the mic holder -- the original intent of this thread). i have no experience with the mic, but it has garnered many favorable reviews here (you can check the audio forum and run a search on the mic). fyi, there is a used one being sold here in the classifieds.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Bouwen View Post

I love my Rode NTG2!! It's like a freaking handheld soudstage. I sandwich a rectangulare piece of foam to keep it on my A1. I also keep spares in case it falls off during mic removal and I lose the foam. You never know.

Since you are on a budget, just make sure you get an affordable XLR mic for your A1. I've used my XLR shotgun as a boom mic via monopod or tripod. I don't think you can do that with proprietary hotshoe mics.
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #12
Regular Crew

My experience is (not with the Rode videomic, which I never tried) that even a short min-jack cable is easily subject of interference and distortion problems. Even a halogen transformer - close enough - can ruin your recording.

In my Sony VX times, ended up with a lot of bad mic's in this respect. None of those solutions where even close to acceptable. Also the Rode videomic is intended for a typical consumer cam, not for a pro/semi pro cam.

Believe me: the A1 has a top of the shelf recording competence with its XLR connectivity, very low noise, don't go for a cheap handicam solution, but for a real XLR mic. The NTG2 is worth every penny, you'll not regret it.
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #13
New Boot

Would the NTG-1 fit onto the camera? Either in the slot that is provided or using the On-Camera shock mount that it comes with? I just keep reading that people need to make their own devices to keep it on the thing...
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I currently use the Rode Videomic on my XH-A1 with the Rode VXLR. I have had no interference problems with this mic even when I have it on a boom.

That being said if I was going out to by a new mic today I would get the NTG-2, and wrap a little tape around it or use a piece of foam to keep it in the holder.
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:48 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Regarding internals & specs, the NTG-1 and 2 are identical with the exception that the NTG2 can be powered by means of a battery, which makes the design of the mic a little bit longer. Also the price is not that different.

Though I'm working with the NTG-2, on the A1, I assume both are possible with respect to their built, without any doubt what concerns their connectivity.

Reason where would choose the NTG-2 for is - even though you don't need it on the A1, you're able to use this mic in conditions where you don't have phantom power.
Dirk Bouwen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders