Matte Box for XH-A1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 28th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #16
Major Player

http://www.vocas.com/links/dvfitchart_xha1g1-link.htm
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #17
Contributor

That Vocas stuff is pretty slick, but it appears they sell in every industrialized nation in the world but the U.S. Makes me feel like a third world country. Any idea on prices?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #18
Major Player

I`m really confused if one can use a mattebox at all with 109mm diametre original Canon WA converter on XH A1?
4x4 (100mm) filters will not cut it I assume?
The Vocas 250 is the widest and most WA usable compact 1+1 stage mattebox out there but the rear opening is only 105mm by the specs so it will not be usable with the uber good original WA converter from Canon.

Any thoughts?
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
That Vocas stuff is pretty slick, but it appears they sell in every industrialized nation in the world but the U.S. Makes me feel like a third world country. Any idea on prices?
Vocas matteboxes are distributed through Century Precision Optics in the US.

You can see the part numbers here

B&H has most of them
E.J. Sadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #20
New Boot

Geardear Matte Box

Hi Bill
Not yet. As soon as I stared to use my wonderful A1 I realised I needed more computer grunt. I had to use all my funds to upgrade my ageing G5 imac. (New 2.8 imac on the way).
Hopefully first quarter 08.
Still going to be the GEARDEAR.

Trev
Trevor Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #21
Contributor

I've been fine without one but there are situations where it might be nice. So far Geardear seems the overall best deal for the money.

One concern is my quick release plate. I use the Canon quick release plate (which cost about $135) because the camera has a typical still camera tripod thread, ie., 1/4" instead of the normal 3/8". And when I use a teleprompter, which requires the O'Connor 50 and it has only 3/8". The plate has both, so that's cool. But I'd have to put it on top of the rod holder platform, and then the tripod's plate on the bottom, if that makes sense. I don't know what that extra height would do to matte box alignment. I'd have the same problem with any matte box, obviously, that required rails, which is pretty much any mattebox that I'd want.
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Bill,
I used to use Geardear mattebox with rails on my M2+DVX combo.
I ordered a 72-77 step-up ring to use it w/o rails on my new XH-A1. I'll tell you how it performs
Alvise Tedesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #23
Contributor

Alvise, did you get the stepup ring yet? And if so, are you using the Geardear without rails, and do you use the French flag with it? How do you like it?
Old December 11th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Hi everyone, long time reader first time poster...

I've been shopping matte boxes pretty extensively for my A1. I was set for the longest time on a geardear due to value and what all you can get. I was disappointed to find out they were molded from some sort of foam injection type process though so I began looking elsewhere....

I think I'm going with the redrockMicroMatte. They are finally being released in limited quantities but should be full force by Feb08 according to their forums. These look (and judging by redrock's rep) are made to be very top quality and offer everything that geardear does for even cheaper it appears. Full set up for $500. Then I think you have to add the rail support about $290. Still a shade cheaper then the deluxe A1 set up quote I received from geardear...($870ish I believe)

Does anyone have a MicroMatte they are using with their A1? I'd love to get some feedback cause I'm pretty sure I'm set on that one, or at least until I hear some really positive feedback about the geardear...
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #25
Major Player

Chrosziel matte box fits Canon XH-A1/G1 with Canon 0.8x WA attachment with 1 mm to spare.

They have a XH-A1/G1 kit, with WA you just do not use the normal fill-in adapter, if you want to fill the 0.5mm gap this leaves (110 opening, 109mm lens) they sell you a rubber seal...
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen View Post
Chrosziel matte box fits Canon XH-A1/G1 with Canon 0.8x WA attachment with 1 mm to spare.

They have a XH-A1/G1 kit, with WA you just do not use the normal fill-in adapter, if you want to fill the 0.5mm gap this leaves (110 opening, 109mm lens) they sell you a rubber seal...

Are you referring to the WD-H72 Wide Angle Adapter? I was under the impression that this WA adapter was not compatible with ANY matte box kit...
Old December 13th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #27
Major Player

It is the one Canon sell with the camera (at a price).
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Yeah that's the WD-H72. So then you can still use 4x4 filters in front of that WA adapter? And since it's made specific for the XHA1 it won't block the sensors in front?

That's very cool if it will allow the use of the WA and a filter.
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I am selling my soft mattbox I used before I sold my xha1. I have the step ring to put it on the xha1 if you are intrested in buying it. Let me know. Here is the site if you want to check it out first. http://www.cinetactics.com/StoreFront.bok
Trent Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
There are probably at least half a dozen matte Boxes that will work with the XH-A1.
I am using an inexpensive Cavision 4 x 4 bellows unit with mine.
David,

Were you referring to this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Matte_Box.html

It is for a 72mm lens so that would fit the XHA1 but it is not specific to the XHA1 in the description just the XL2/DVX100. I'm wondering if the baseplate piece is adjustable height wise so that it could fit the A1...
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders