XH A1 compatibility with prem pro 2.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 27th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Major Player

XH A1 compatibility with prem pro 2.0

Hi I have read a couple of times that there are compatibility issues with this camera and premiere pro 2.0? I am assuming and hoping I have read some false information as I am thinking of buying a PAL model and I edit exclusively on PP2.0.

Also regarding this camera does it have a DV mode like the sony FX1 or just the HDV?

And can you shoot in 4:3 as well as 16:9 in all situations (DV & HDV, 60i & 25fps?)

Many thanks
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Note: I have the NTSC version

I use this camera with PP2.0 without any problems. Just be sure to get the project update so you can use the 24F mode. You can film in SD mode if you wish which is what you are calling DV. It also does shoot 4:3 when in SD. I am not sure about 4:3 in HDV though.
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks Josh.

Have found more and more threads about the compatibility problems tho so I think I might have to buy a sony fx1 instead and lose the 25fps :(

eg: http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...canon+a1+pp2.0
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Have you downloaded the Canon HDV Patch for Adobe Premiere 2.0?

It supports the 24f, 25f and 30f.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3408
Recently I upgraded to CS3, so now I have the native 60i support.. I was able to bring 60i footage into CS2 30f project when I ran it and didnt have any problems.. Of coarse, I only got through one project with my A1 and CS2, so I dont have a ton of experience with issues.
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Well that is certinally an issue but one thing to note is that you should be looking @ PP3.0 now. I would say get the demo and try it. I am waiting for my copy in the mail. Anyone near you with a A1 for testing?
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
Well that is certinally an issue but one thing to note is that you should be looking @ PP3.0 now. I would say get the demo and try it. I am waiting for my copy in the mail. Anyone near you with a A1 for testing?
Only thing with the PPRO 3.0 Trial is I believe it does not allow HDV editing.. :(
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #7
Major Player

I will have to check. I know the BETA did not but I thought the trial did, at least that is what the sales dude told me to use till my copy showed up. Said the demo was fully functional minus the 30 day limit. Gonna go look now.
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #8
Major Player

thanks guys, unfortunately no one near me to test the camera..

I will no doubt get pro 3.0 soon so I suppose its no big deal if I get this camera as I intend to shoot in SD mode for the first few months until I get a 2nd HDV camera.

Just a bit of an inconvenience I suppose.

I'm not sure if that patch will solve the issues I've read about but if I do get this camera I'll certainly download it.

thanks again
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #9
Major Player

incidentally.. does anyone know if i will run into problems shooting on the A1 in HDV and capturing using the sony FX1???

I could do this temporarily until the issue is solved or I upgrade to pp3.0...
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

You can shoot DV 4:3, DV 16:9 and HDV with the A1, all 50i or 25F.
There is no 4:3 HDV.

The only problem I encountered with PAL A1 and PPro2 is that the standard PAL DV presets do not have a "progressive" option - you must either chose upper for lower fields for your 25F footage.

You can create your own custom preset, enabling the "progressive" option - but you have to use "desktop" editing mode (which I believe disables external monitoring) and you have to use a different codec (other than the standard Microsoft DV) for capturing

The A1 is the best camera in the price range in my opinion....I wouldn't let these minor difficulties stop me from getting one.
Rene Roslev is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders