24Pa in After Effects 7 (the fifth frame) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 30th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Tourist

24Pa in After Effects 7 (the fifth frame)

Well, I really hope I'm not posting prematurely here. I did several searches on this topic and can finally say I understand 24p and 24Pa. However when I try to apply this new knowledge to Premiere Pro 2 and After Effects 7, I'm only partially succesful. More successful than not, I should say.
In Premiere, I create a new project, use the preset for 16:9 24Pa DV, import the 2:3:3:2 footage. Check that the footage is interpreted correctly, and that everything is set to 23.967. I double click the footage and advance it frame by frame and I get a full new frame with every click. No doubled frames and no interlacing. I place the footage into the project and then scrub the project frame by frame and everything is exactly the same. A true 24 FPS timeline.
This is great because everything I work on, stays in the computer/web realm.

I've been a game asset artist for ..well.. too long. Anyone remember DPaint?

Anyway, so I'm use to working on renderings out of Max and XSI, at 30 and 24fps. Now I'm overjoyed to have my XL2, and want to work in the same non interlaced full frame world that I'm use to.

So anyway, everythings fine until I get into After Effects and I try to apply the same technique. I create a Project, change the settings to 16:9 23.976 DV, and import my footage. I then go to Interpret footage and hit the "Guess 24Pa Pulldown" button assuming this will remove the 2:3:3:2, like it did in Premiere. I close the dialog box, double click the footage and scrub it frame by frame. Hooray!! It's true 24 fps full frames.
Then I drag it into the project and proceed to scrub the project frame by frame. Hmm.. what the? 1, 2, 3, 4, 4...1,2,3,4,4??? Dang it... I was SOOOO close!! SO I try Interpreting the Footage differently and every other setting I try gives me much worse results. Frame blending, double frames and godawful interpolation. So where did I go wrong? Any tips?
Thanks so much for all of your help. This is a great site, and wonderful community.
-Tracy Smith
Tracy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That's strange. I do this all the time and have never had an issue.

Have you tried dragging your properly interpreted footage to the comp icon to create a new comp based on the files settings? That might clear it up.
Old August 1st, 2007, 10:15 PM   #3
Tourist

I have not tried that Paul. Thanks so much. I'll give it a shot first thing in the morning.
Thanks again!
-Tracy
Tracy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Trustee

Did someone say Deluxe Paint?

Holy Tutankhamun!
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders