XL2 for Very Low Price... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Closed Thread

Old August 10th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Major Player

XL2 for Very Low Price...

I know, I know - when buying new, spend the extra money and buy from a trusted retailer. But when a store located in Edison NJ (not Brooklyn) offers and XL2 for less than $2000 and that same store gets good reviews...one wonders: would it not be worth risking getting camera only (w/o usual accessories) for that price?

Thoughts?
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The price difference with other stores looks to be very large here. I've had my own (good) experience with webshops like these though. I bought my own XM2 in a dutch webstore for around 1700€ while other webshops offered around 2200-2300€; videostores in town even went with around 2700€. About a week after I bought the camera the same webstore changed pricing to around 2300€. Still I got a new boxed camera for the price of 1700 cuz the contract was there. The store just didn't keep their pricings up-to-date. So you could be very lucky like I was. But the difference in pricing here is a lot more than I had.

Be careful around buying an XL-2 though with the difference between body-kit only and lens included. Best search for prices of the body-kit and see if it is still such a huge profit in price. All the way on the bottom of the page you see a lens selling for 1999.99$, the lens is the one making this camera expensive. I think this package is body-only tbh.
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Body only would be fine with me - I plan on getting the 16x lens and shooting primarily with that. Even for body only it is a good deal as B&H is selling the body only for about $2800.
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Trustee

Buyer beware.

Hi Dale,
The reviews page you linked to appears to be a false front. Its info doesn't correspond to any of the very popular or well known vendor reviews sites that clearly distinguish your selected vendor as a "significantly less than ideal" merchant from whom to make such a purchase. (Which should have been completely obvious simply by the pricing structure - especially when looking at the alternate package options such as the Professional Package - their highest priced XL2 package selling for $1809.

Aside from the fact that they include in this package the full cam (lens included as is also with all the packages - noted by the fact that it includes OIS) they also include with the XL2 these items:
Wide angle Converter lens (not shown in the picture)
2X Super Telephoto Lens (huh?)
Deluxe Camcorder Case (pictured item would not accomodate XL2)
Full Size Tripod (pictured item would not accomodate XL2)
Wireless Microphone System (not shown - your lucky to get 2 styrofoam cups connected by a string)
Professional Video Light (not shown)
1GB Secure Digital Memory Card (Why? XL2 doesn't use 'em)

...and so on.

Add to this the fact that the images they are using are not really their own, but were obviously heisted from other sites and were stamped with their own cheapo watermark - as evidenced by their shoddy recompression.

While there is no way to really enforce DVinfo site members to purchase from our noted and trusted vendors, I feel it is a moral imperative to stongly discourage you from throwing you money away and getting taken for a ride by trying to do business with the vendor you have linked to.

When you find a deal like this on a new XL2 that is WWWAAAAYYYYYY obviously too good to be true.......run away quickly.

Hope this helps.

Shop smart.
-Jon
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks, Jon - that was my gut feeling, I just wasn't able to pick up on those details like you were. Definitely convinced and fully agreed.

Dale
Old August 10th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #6
Major Player

I came across their site earlier this year and decided to go to Google and search for 'express cameras review'.. They've been screwing over tons of people for YEARS..
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Check out this thread, which has been running for a few years..
http://www.resellerratings.com/forum...103621&page=16

Apparently they make their money by sending the wrong items, and delaying shipments and relying on people eventually giving up on getting a refund. They bundle other stuff (SD card?!) to make people happy with the 'value' they get, even though they don't always get the items they paid for.. cute, huh?
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #7
New Boot

Woha! That was som serious critisism on the links you gave! Thanx for informing us Eric.
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones View Post
While there is no way to really enforce DVinfo site members to purchase from our noted and trusted vendors, I feel it is a moral imperative to stongly discourage you from throwing you money away and getting taken for a ride by trying to do business with the vendor you have linked to.

When you find a deal like this on a new XL2 that is WWWAAAAYYYYYY obviously too good to be true.......run away quickly.
Very well said Jonathan! And I don't think there's anything to be added to the discussion, so this thread is now closed.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders