New 30 second commercial - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 28th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #16
Wrangler

that happens everywhere Jeff! Been there meself, especially after a long hard night shoot--won't go into the stories.

Actually I'm headed to Albuquerque on Thursday to work on a feature, speaking of NM...
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:19 AM   #17
Major Player

Did anyone play this with headphones? It sounds really nice, except the voiceover has background noise/hiss in it, and there's a noticeable cut between every speech clip. It would be good to use a noise removal plugin/tool on that, or use some room tone (the voiceover mic while no speaking is going on) to run underneath in the gaps between speech clips.

Otherwise, nicely done!

I too have an XL2 and a Soft FX/3. It's a nice combination, I just need more projects!

Eric
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #18
Major Player

IPod headphones: free (came with IPod)

Computer speakers: $20

Broadcast monitor speakers: $$$$ (added on personal wishlist)

Customer/client satisfaction: PRICELESS.

Everything else there's use-what-you-have, trial and error, and practice, practice, practice. (And hope you can earn enough to buy more equipment :)

--JA
www.madjavaproductions.com
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #19
Major Player

You don't need high end monitors, just a pair of decent bookshelf stereo speakers with the 'loudness' turned off and the EQ and tone and everything set to 0 or flat.

Any pair of headphones will reveal the cutouts in the sound. Maybe on a tv it sounds fine, I only heard it on my headphones late at night so I didn't bother my wife who was sleeping. But it was obvious in the phones, otherwise everything was great. :)
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #20
New Boot

New 30 seconds spot

Hi Jeff
Overall nice work and if your clients are happy then you have accomplished the goal. The rest does not matter. However since you asked here are my 2c.

I would have swapped the opening scene with the last one and vice versa. I believe the establishing shot would have been more effective. I think you shot the landscape in the morning or the afternoon during "golden light time". Way to go! You framed this shot using the rule of third which is also good. However I think there is too much empty sky (unless you pop some text on it like "New Mexico, Land of Enchantment" or something). I would have framed it in the opposite way with the horizon way up. Camera on tripod low to the ground with maybe a bush in the foreground to add depth to the shot. Keep everything in focus and you have a decent shot.

I like the pool shot, nice and slow pan. A lady or two lounging would have been a plus.

The bar shot pan is very good. I like the down camera movement at the end. Very well executed. Others have talked about the shot being a bit dark and I agree. Your editing software could help lighting things up a little without changing the mood. Or you could have used a hand held reflector to light up the guy's face.

The dining table shot is very good. Maybe 1 or 2 seconds too short. By the time you realize what it is, it fades to black.

I really like the composition of the lady getting her feet done . The mood is great but once again I would have put a reflector to illuminate her face. Compare it with the way (at the dining table) the lady and her baby are lit.
Because this shot (the lady and her feet) is so strong, it makes the other two massage shots a little weak. I would have started the massage sequence with the last shot too.

I would have put the golf shot before the pool shot. It would follow a normal day. Establishing shot of the hotel sign. Then you play golf , then you dip in the pool, then lunch, then the massage. Finish with a beautiful sunset on the landscape.

A shot of one of the rooms would have been good to see.

Most of what I talked about is subjective. It is also very easy to comment on a finish product. When you have to start from scratch it is another story. Although one general comment on a short spot like this would be to strive to make every shot really count.

Jeff, it is a good spot technically well executed with great shots. It works!
As I said, if your client are happy, forget what I said

Brice
Digital Motion Studio
Brice LeCarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for comments and advice Brice.

It was indeed tough to sequentially put in order which shots to put sequentially in order :) We had some discussion (ahem, argument) about which dept. to highlight first, foremost, and often. As the client had just added a massage therapy and spa service, we thought that should be highlighted best.

As I said earlier, our lighting skills aren't up to par. Hopefully, we can "shine" better in the next one :)

--JA
www.madjavaproductins.com
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #22
Major Player

Well done Jeff. I thought the voice over guy sounded warm and natural.

Would have liked to see a few close ups mixed in here and there. e.g. close up of golf ball being putted into the hole mixed over the wide shot. Close up of hand massage, Close up of drinks.

Video loves close ups. Try and plug a few into your next commercial.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:36 PM   #23
Major Player

Hi Owen,

Good advice on the close ups. As we had plenty of coverage (as far as the people shots), we ended with wider shots instead; we thought we'd cover more space that way, but lost some "personal" touches as you saw.

We had very limited time shooting the golf course, as it had not officially opened yet (at the time of shooting). Fortunately, we've captured more golf footage after their opening (which we hope to parlay into a commercial :)

--JA
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:52 PM   #24
Major Player

Atta boy

Hi Jeff,

I also thought you did a nice job with the audio and editing. Areas to work on include lighting and composition (especially camera angles).

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #25
Major Player

Thanks Michael!

--JA
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders