Jumpy Pan Shots w/XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 19th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #1
New Boot

Jumpy Pan Shots w/XL2

I am just getting my feet wet using this camera but the effect I am getting seems a bit extreme. I was hoping someone could take a quick look and give me some input. I shot at 30p setting and I am trying to do walk throughs of properties for out of town clients but was expecting better results. Is this operator error or ?

http://www.reil.tv

Last edited by Steve Jakubowski; August 19th, 2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: didnt make sense
Steve Jakubowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Looks like a combination of bad compression and movements that are TOO fast.

Don't know what you compressed it with, but you might try changing your settings. And the pans/camera movements are fast and jerky... and kind of nauseating. Think SLOW and SMOOTH as you move through the rooms, let the eyes linger. You want people to feel welcome, not like they are part of a home invasion or police intrusion.

Just my thoughts.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Steve...........

As Richard says, but you may want to revert to good 'ol 60i with the amount of movement involved. And invest in a SteadyCam or similar. You're gonna have clients chundering into their corn flakes.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the feedback so far. I am using Adobe Premier Elements 3, compressing to Flash 8, 500k (no audio) On2 VP6. I thought 60i was more for broadcast applications but I'll try it, again I am just getting into this stuff so please be gentle with me. Loved the corn flakes comment. Hey I'd love to get one of those steady cam things but my wife thinks I'm nuts already for shelling out for an XL2.
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Sounds like you had the Image Stabilization on, turn it off and try again.

Bill
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #6
New Boot

No image stabilization, i was using the 3x lens.
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #7
Major Player

What shutter speed were you using?
To fast will cause the images to be jumpy.

BTW; did you ever live in Connecticut? Asking because I knew a Steve Jakubowski in high school.

Bill
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #8
New Boot

Well I'm a litte embarassed to admit it but I was in auto "A" because I figured the light would be changing as I moved from one room to the other, I was sort of in a hurry and I only had one opportunity to do this, oh yeah and I'm kind of green too. Any suggestions on shutter speed for next time in a similar situation?

BTW, Never been to Connecticut so it wasn't me but thanks for asking.
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #9
Major Player

For 30P, start with 1/30th or 1/60th remember this is film/video not still photography you want some motion blur. That said sometimes you have to use higher shutter speeds but use them only when you need to not to adjust the exposure. To adjust exposure, use ND and the aperture settings as well as light control.

Bill
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #10
New Boot

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try that on my next attempt and repost the results just in case it could benefit anyone else.

What a great site, thanks a bunch for the input.
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:14 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Turn off the OIS while using a tripod.
Scott Delish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:49 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Delish View Post
Turn off the OIS while using a tripod.
Read above he is using the 3x lens so no OIS
Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:15 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Hey Steve...........

Sorry about the "Corn Flake" crack, it was apt, if not exactly PC. I do hope you can get this sorted, as it's something I've thought of but not done yet.

But it does beg the question: "Why 30p"? I have no idea how this is going out to "the masses", you didn't say. Why pick 30p?

Again, appologies if it wasn't in order.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:48 AM   #14
New Boot

Hey Chris, I chose 30P because I read that it was the better choice for the web which is where it will be displayed. Why do you think 60I would be better for this application?

You say you have thought of doing this, I asume you are talking about the real estate walk through. I am only doing it special requests and for out of town buyers until I figure this out with a little help from y'all. Its too much of a hastle otherwise, for me anyway. I am not trying to win any awards with this but I know I can get better results.

No prob with the corn flakes. I came into this forum expecting a few shots from you guys since I am just learning this stuff. I liked the comment from about the video looking like a home invasion, now every time I watch the clip I think about that. Maybe I'll submit it to "cops" for a demo reel.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:06 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Yeah, well..........

I guess I had the idea for this 20 years ago, but wasn't in a position to do a da*m thing about it, and the technology just wasn't there.

The "home invasion" quip was, actually, spot on.

The 30p Vs 60i thing? Well, I shoot 50i exclusively (Pal people, ya' know!). Tried 25f and found it seriously wanting, hell, if I want it to jump, I'll make it jump. It ain't allowed to do it all on it's own!

I guess when they (eventually) get around to 50P, then I'll consider "P" as an alternative, but in the interim, if it's gotta move, it's gotta be I , cos P/ F just can't cut it (in my book).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders