XL2 with Nikon Primes! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 30th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #16
Major Player

No. A 50mm lens would give the apparent focal length of 360mm on the XL2 because of the smaller CCD size compared to a 35mm frame. Rule of thumb is to multiply the focal length by 7.2 to get the apparent focal length.

Martin
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:10 AM   #17
Trustee

I have used a Canon XL-NIKON Nikkor adapter for years to bayonet my vast range of Nikkors to XL bodies, and would certainly be lost without it.

There are a few different companies making them, in either plastic/hard-resin components or metal. By far the best are made of solid metal.

The one that I have always used is made by Les Bosher - a camera engineer who has been working for film/video/television for around 25-years.

http://www.lesbosher.co.uk/

Les will also make special mounts to fit most other makes of lenses such as Pentax/Minolta/Contax/Zeiss etc.
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #18
Tourist

A request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul V Doherty View Post
Just recieved the Novoflex XL-Nikon adaptor from B&H.
It is a very well constructed and engineered piece of solid metal with a nice
Nikon lens release mechanism.
Beautifully finished in either powder coat or anodised aluminium - I don't know which.

Shown in the photos are:

Tokina 28-80mm f2.8 Zoom
Nikon 85mm f1.4
Sigma Fisheye f2.8

A quick test in the backyard proved the combination of 35mm SLR lenses and the XL2 to be a vastly superior image than the stock Canon 20x XL lens.
Even with the 7.2x magnification factor, the image quality is simply so superior and the bonus of full manual control with nice full-throw focus on the barrel is hard to beat.
I would definitely recommend this setup for anyone with a need for full manual control if you can live with the massive focal length magnification.
It sure beats paying $$$$ for the Canon manual lens, and most people have some decent SLR lenses at their disposal.

I mostly shoot concerts, theatre and rock bands, so the 7.2x magnification is actually an advantage when shooting from the back or middle of the auditorium.

I highly recommend the Novoflex adaptor if you have some Nikon lenses lying around!!!!
Could you please send a video made with the adapter to my email because i just about to buy the xl2 just for the adapter. Email:mail@danielk.plus.com
Daniel Kucharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #19
Tourist

hi

i never really understood does the adapter effect the DOF?
Daniel Kucharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:06 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Daniel,

I'm on a slow satellite uplink for the next 5 months. I'm afraid I can't upload any videos - sorry :(

But I CAN vouch for a Nikon-XL adaptor - the results are worth a few hundred dollars for a quality steel or brass adaptor. I don't recommend plastic adaptors.

There is no gain in DOF with a Nikon-XL adaptor. You will still get the same DOF at the same focal length as the stock 20x Canon XL lens
Paul V Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:44 PM   #21
Major Player

I had an XL1 as my first camera, and it served me well. I have now upgraded to an XL H1, skipping the XL2 step. I purchased an XL to Nikon adapter from RSB Film in the UK, but they no longer carry it as an item. I was using a Nikon 80-400mm, Sigma 400mm APO Macro, and an old Tokina 80-200 with the XL1, and I was very satisfied with the results. With the XL H1, I have used the same lenses with mixed results. The Nikon 80-400mm falls off at about 380mm, the Sigma 400mm is tack sharp, and the Tokina is also very sharp. I am currently using the Tokina 80-200mm as my work horse lens, and I have coupled a Nikon TC14A (1.4x) with it, which gives me an effective ~2000mm. This combo has worked out very well for me, and so far has produced very sharp and crisp video, even after being down converted to standard DV. Attached are a few images that are video frame grabs from a down converted source. All the images were shot using the Tokina 80-200mm coupled with the TC14A, including the macro shot of the fly.

For reasons I don't understand, I have had trouble uploading videos on this site. So, if your interested in seeing videos shot with the Tokina combo, go to this site.

http://surfbirds.com/video2/index.php

Any video with the user name dond, is mine. Most of them are 16:9, but when they are first displayed, they show as squished 4:3, so click the resize button (blue square) in the lower right corner of the viewer to display right aspect ratio.
Attached Thumbnails
XL2 with Nikon Primes!-red-shouldered-4.jpg   XL2 with Nikon Primes!-nuttalls_woodpecker.jpg  

XL2 with Nikon Primes!-wrentit.jpg   XL2 with Nikon Primes!-fly.jpg  

Old January 5th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #22
Regular Crew

so what is the real point of this adapter? seems that it would work mostly for wildlife videos because of the huge magnification and such. i was very interested at first because i am looking for something such as the redrock m2 to use slr lens.
Michael Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #23
Regular Crew

7.2x
someone knows what is the multiplyer on 35mm adapters?
John Welsh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders